Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

Guide Replacement

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I've got a bottom fishing rod that is not braid capable (steel ring guides). I'm thinking of trying braid for the first time.

2 questions...

1. Can I test it with braid (say 1 trip) if I replace the tip? Or will the braid destroy the other guides right away?

2. How difficult is it to remove the guides & install something "braid capable".

I've never built a rod, but I'm "handy".

thanks...

Joe,

It's relatively easy. I checked your profile and you live about 30 minutes from me. I would be happy to spend a Saturday morning walking you through the steps for you to work on it over the winter.

Al

Thanks Al!

I'll pm as soon as I'm ready to work. There's construction at the house right now.

What about trying braid with just a tip change? I'd like to try it w/braid before rebuilding it.

Yes, you can fish braid with a simple tip change to a Fuji hardaloy or SIC. Any tackle shop can easily do it in about ten minutes.

I would first check all the guides for any pitting, corrosion or grooving. If you have pitting or grooving then you are at risk and need to change the guide regardless of the line used.

Joe,

My codfish jigging rod still has the old Foulproof guides on it and I went to Power Pro 2 1/2 years ago. So far there have been no problems--I figure when there is some grooving, I'll just replace the guides. My thinking is like yours, as I did change the tip when I went to braid. IMO, Power Pro is the softest of all the braids and their advertising claims that it won't damage guides. I'm not a big believer in advertising claims, but as of now my guides are fine.

Power Pro is the only braid that will not groove guides if used for inshore stuff. I have heard of it being used for tuna and other species that run a lot and it did groove them, but for cod, bass, etc there should never be a problem. Firelind and the other brands will, however, groove anything but carbaloy and SIC.