Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cool Hand Fluke

Care for rods

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

O.K. Al you asked for the dumb questions...

What's the best way to clean,care for and store rods that won't be used for a few months. I have a mix of cork and other grips. Also where is a better place to store them. In a heated basement where the temp is a pretty constant 75 or in an unheated garage?

Also what are some definite Dont's when doing this as well.

Cool,

First clean the rod with Joy dishwashing soap and water. Use a soft brush to clean around and under the guide feet. Use an SOS soap pad to scrub your grips. Dry off the rod and wipe down the rod with a soft rag sprayed with Pledge furniture polish.

I store my rods in a heated basement with the temperature of 65 degrees.

Al, is an SOS soap pad used as a scrubber ok on a cork wrap? Seems like a soft brush would be less harsh. Any thoughts about the furniture polish smell being transfered to your lure/bait and deterring fish?

Bass,

The brush will loosen the cork that fill the pits while the pad will pass over them. You can also use a scrubbbing pad and scouring powder like Comet.

The subject was storong rods for the winter. The polish smell wears off over the winter months and you can wash the rod in the spring with soap and water if you are worried about the smell.