Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bay_slinger

Purglas 400/1 2pcs or 3pcs??

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

actually i think getting a 3 piece is going to be as hard a getting a 1 piece ....pretty sure they are a "special" order item . most places only carry the 2 piecers ...

derf

Yes, it might be hard to find but not imposible.

3-piece is much more convenience to transport.

I still don't know if 3-piece still have the same action as 2-piece. Logically, because of that extra ferrule, I think the 3-piece would be more stiff where the ferrule is by comparision.

Anyone??????? biggrin.gif

The only 3 pc 13' casting rods i have heard much about are the diawa trybeam/hatteras rods. The guys I know who have thrown them really like them. I have 3 purglass blanks (400-4 and 400-5) all 2 piece and are very happy with them. When I looked into it, a 1pc 400-4 would have been about an additional $150-200 to ship.

Hi - from South Africa

I build with Purglas blanks and you are part right about the ction:

1. The extra spiggot reinforces the blank.

2. The rods are made from a single piece blank with the reinforcing added in the baking process

3. The action of the rod remains precise and without flat spots.

4. The tip sensitivity is not affected at all.

There are many advantages to using 3 pce. Primary being the transport length, when using air transport the 3pce is great for storage and even for carrying around in the airport.

I find the 400/0 3 Pce a lot better for spinning as it is a lot lighter and handle lures up to 5oz with a smile and with the added spiggot delivers great distances when casting - my best on 4oz with Tica fixed spool and 20lb Viper braid has been 147m.