Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Factory vs. Custom Rods

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm curious...do you guys still fish factory rods? Though I just started rod building this winter, I find it hard to believe I'll be going back to fishing rods made by someone ina factory somewhere.

Unless you have certain needs not offered in a production rod like a shorter or longer butt, more guides, less guides, etc., There's quite a few really good production rods out there today. Also if cost is a factor, you can buy a good production rod for way less than the cost of building the exact same rod yourself. If you use fiberglass rods, you gotta get a custom because nobody really makes a top quality one piece production glass rod. But a nine foot lamiglas graphite surf rod for example would run you a buck seventy, where builing that same rod would cost that much in parts alone. Now, for the guy who don't build rods, he's gonna have to pay someone at the very least fifty bucks to build it.

If he wants to give it a shot himself, He's gotta buy the thread & epoxy and that's another twenty bucks. It all depends on your individual wants and/or needs. I need all custom's just cause...I need em', that's all.

WBGelbke summed it up rather well. It depends on your particular needs. I still do both, my own custom and as well as purchase factory rods. If all you are doing is copping a factory rod than IMHO you are spending extra money. Warranty is another issue you might want to consider. On factory rods the warranty will cover the whole rod where is in custom you might be limited to the blank only.

90%+ of the rods I use are custom. My fly rods are mostly Sage factory and I have three/four G Loomis casting rods and spin that I fish with.

I love my MBR844 IMX factory stick.

I've built a handful of rods now, and basically I do it becuase I enjoy it and it gives me something fishing oriented to do in the off-season. At this point I have about twice as many factory rods as I have rods I have built, and I am still at the point in my rod building that I am not satified that my rods are better than a factory. But the overall quality is improving....not just the appearance, but fishability of the rods wink.gif .

More importantly though, rod building has taught me a heck of a lot about how rods work and how difference components change a rod. I look forward to learning more about guides & guide placement, blank options, reel seat placement, etc. I took forward to being a better rod maker, and I also believe this knowledge makes me a better educated factory rod buyer.

i don't use the factory rods at all anymore...i've become spoiled by having everything on the rod exactly where i want it...plus i only like one color thread (black)on my rods...

Unless my finances change dramatically , I will never use another factory rod for surf fishing. The benefits of a custom rod are huge to someone who is really pushing themselves and their equipment to their limits.

Saltheart is right, after you've built a bunch you will see the subtle differences in a custom are not so subtle... the rod can be tailored for maximum efficiency in your specific style, making you 're efforts in the suds the best they can be.

biggrin.gif

It was mentioned earlier a custom rod does cost more than a factory rod. What a builder does is take a blank closest to his needs adds the necessary componutes to match his needs. Manufactured rods are built for the general public. You may have a Jag (car) bought from a dealer, but to make it a competitor on the race track you have to modify it to each and every track you race on. Same with fishing rods. So if you are a competitive fisher person or just like the feel of a handmade rod that fits your specific needs you need a custom rod. A lot of people think a custom rod has all the glitz and glimmer with fancy butt wraps and weaves. What makes a custom rod is its performance in a users hands

Haven't used a factory rod in years. Maybe I got just too many customs? smile.gif

Actually I feel that I just can't buy what I want to fish. The reel seat goes where I want it, I don't have to skimp on the number or style or quality of guides to save money. One piece blank, underwraps, type of epoxy, Hypalon fore grip...no problem. And the selection of blank characteristic and length is mine. If there is still nothing that suits my needs I can cut from either end or make it longer. Fancy butt wraps or plain black the choice is yours. It's about total control and quality.

Steve

In most types of rod there are pretty good factory rods to be had. In surfcasting rods, I don't think I've seen many that I felt were properly set up for my fishing style and taste.