Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobNoFish

IM6 and 2002 other things

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Mr. Goldberg,

I have followed your forum since it began; thanks for all the very helpful and real answers.

I have serveral questions:

(1)IM6-43000 modulus- good for the job and price or not $60-$80?

I am looking to build a 8'-6" 4 piece travel spinning rod that can handle 1/2-11/2 lures.I have only found a Pac Bay blank so far. Would a blank like this, have enough guts to beat medium Snook, baby Tarpon,or Peacock bass.Similarly a 4 piece 10wt fly rod.

(2)It is very confusing when looking at blanks and their specifications,do you have a list of who makes whose blanks. You know Cascade makes BLAH,BLAH and So and So makes XYX.

(3)Specs. lowest to highest strength to weight. Is it IM6 on up to latest rocket technology? Rods I would like to build are saltwater fly and beach plugging.

It's hard for me to compare apples and kind of apples to oranges and sort of oranges.

Thank you for any assistance.

BobNoFish

BobNF,

For a travel spin rod and fly rod for snook, tarpon and peacock bass you may want to consider going a little heavier since these fish can be very tough. You may get away with a lighter spin rod, but you should go heavier on the fly rod, maybe a 12 wtg.

Look in both the Clemens and Aglers Workshop catalogs for the spin rod, both carry them in Loomis and their own private label model.

I do not have a master list of blank manufacturers and who they manufacture for.

There is a trade off as you go up the modulus ladder. You get marginally increasing performance with a decrease in wall thickness and durability. Now with the widespread use of spectra lines, increased modulus can be a disadvantage.

Al G.

Mr. Goldberg,

Well now I'm committed, or maybe I should be.

I went for a PacBay 43000 mod. 4 piece 8'-6" spinning blank.

Now the hard part...Guides/reelseat placement.

I saw in a previous post that a good start would be a 40hh, on the spline, after that? I thought for weight, looks and cost, I'd like to go with single foot hardaloys...yes/no?

Please give me a hint for remaining number of guides, size and spacing.

Yes I will do a distribution test.

Yes I will test cast.

But before I do all that, is there really an advantage in what I think is called the Fuji choke concept. Could you clarify

the "concept"?

Or is it just a way to sell more guides?

I promised 2002 questions; how am I doing, I think it is about 10 down and 1992 more to go. Seriously, thanks for all your help.

BobNoFish(andy)

Andy,

Go with the Fuji single foot high frame guides (YLG). 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8 and an SIC tip.

Follow my points on a previous posting for guide placement, butt length and reelseat position. re: Concept System.

Al G.