40 or 50

Rate this topic

Gary T

Apparently, I need to make a comment here. It was recently bought to my attention that some feel I personally should have said something to the manufacturer pushing his company's products here. Once again, I find myself explaining "why" I run things the way I run things here - which is fine, it's just getting old, but when people I respect begin to question my actions, it's something I feel I have to do.

There are two forum leaders in this forum - they are doing me an enormous favor by maintaining this forum. I am a forum leader in the main forum and do my best to maintain that forum. When there is a problem or an issue in this forum, I would much prefer that a forum leader here (in this case Saltheart - thanks Saltheart smile.gif ) be the one that handle the issue. Saltheart and I have discussed this specific issue in private - long before this incident - I'm sure he would confirm that with anyone who no longer trusts me. I told Saltheart that if he was uncomfortable with saying something, just let me know if he thought boundaries were crossed and I would say something.

I've asked before that the forum leaders on this site be given every respect by the members of this site - my stepping in and saying something without giving the forum leaders an opportunity to rectify a problem would be nothing more than a public show of my lack of respect for the forum leaders. That's why I didn't personally say anything. It has nothing to do with favoritism or any other manufacturer - it has everything to do with my trust of the forum leaders who have volunteered to help maintain these forums.

It's a shame when people think I am out to get certain people and think I allow others all sorts of freedoms for whatever reason. Used to be people would ask if they had a question about why something if they weren't sure, now some are making assumptions that are entirely incorrect frown.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Tim and I definitely discussed the AmTak issue a couple of weeks ago. The question was , is this stuff overboard as far as pushing his product. Tim gave me the go ahead to use my discretion as to how to handle it.

My exercise of discretion has been to let it go a while. Eventually , I'd have sent an email to Joe if his enthusiasm for promoting his product didn't lighten up a little. My reason for letting it go for a while longer is that I believe Joe knows a lot that could be of interest to people here. I want to encourage his continued participation. We just want more knowledge and less advertising in the character of his posts.

So , If anyone should be blamed for letting this to continue to go on , its me , not Tim.

Maybe I am too patient but that's the way I have always been in these matters. As far back in time as my participation on internet fishing sights goes , here and before SOL , I have always tried to keep peace while suggesting change. At some point , enough is a enough and its time to act and I will. I have been involved in a few internet brawls over the years. smile.gif However , As best as we can , I think we should take action in a way that gets the point across without "turning anyone off" to participation.

So anyway , hang me , not Tim.

In the future , if anyone gets annoyed with the character of particular posts or posters and I don't do anything , send me an email. Maybe I missed something or maybe I didn't miss it and am being more patient. Either way , I would like to hear from you if you see a problem here. Other peoples opinions might get me to move more quickly than I would on my own.

Guys,

No problem, I had a real chuckle because Gad is right the post looked like a bad commercial looking at it in this context. I guess I get in that rodbuilder.org frame of mind and that is not what this particular board is all about. Unsolicited posts about my products is not good. I apologize. The last thing I want to do is sound like a used car salesman. Thanks for pointing it out. rod.org is a whole different world and I have to switch gears coming here. I'm still learning this BBS thing.

There are times however when someone is looking for a particular product need that we can fill and I can legitimately help them. I will continue to do this but if someone has a problem with it just send me an email and spank me. I'm thick skinned. I don't want to alienate the people I'm trying to get the word out to on our products. So if you have a problem I'm a big boy and let er rip.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Hey Joe,

When are you guys going to make a 40mm "HH" (blue) and some oversize surf tops in that fancy zircon stuff?

gad

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

"HH" is Fuji's designation for extra high, it makes a nice collecting guide on a (Oz concept) surf spinner. "Oversize" tops would be size 14, or 16 rings on size 7.5-18 tubes. smile.gif

Thanks

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."
Who can hope to be safe? Who sufficiently cautious? Guard himself as he may, every moment's an ambush. Horace

Would like to comment that Joe is the only"factory"guy who comes here and reads and rsponds when it comes to guides.Bob batson did a couple of times but Bob is now with the"Big Fisherman".

As long as the comments aren't too commercial heavy I really appreciate his comments.As a fisherman builder rather than a pro I don't have access to all the different makes of guides around now. I'm Fuji knowledgable as are most but there are a lot of nuances that it would be nice to know about regarding the competition.

I can't afford to buy complete or even partial sets of Pac Bay,Forecast, American Tackle to compare with Fuji.

If I can get the same performance for less $ I'll go for it.

There are some who simply will not"get off" the Fuji wagon and in some cases I'd agree with that position but it should be based on knowledge rather that hard-headed ignorance.

Fuji has the market share + because of quality and variety.But anymore the"buy" decision can be based variety since the 3 other major competitors really do produce a top quality product from the few guides I've seen.

The hardness thing has gone beyond practical:there is such a thing as a too hard guide if it isn't mounted properly.And as far as the"average" fisherman, whatever that is,believe me when I say that if properly treated and maintained you and your offspring can't fish a groove in a Hardaloy-type guide.The frame may weaken from corrosion and/or knicks and dings but to wear a groove in one even with the braids takes on he!! of a lot of doing.

So please don't run Joe off as long as he's providing us with"comparison" information. Neil

Well said Neil, especially about about not running me off. haha

My wife told me I was annoying twice this morning before 8am. So you guys aren't the only ones.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there and by informing the public about honest comparisons provides a service to the industry meaning you guys. Competition is good for our industry. It gives us all better products. I'm trying to reach the die hard Fuji guys with info to let them know they do have a high quality alternative while paying less.

You're right. Hardloye or our Halide will stand up to anything but wire and we do go over board on the hardness stuff. The TiN guides will give you a much smoother friction free surface however so that is something that can increase line life which I think is worth the extra cash. They also give you color choices.

Gad, I'm going to have to look at the HH guide a bit closer. I made the asumption it was only slightly higher with a heavier frame than the regular V-Frame. The only time I spend gobs of time looking at their stuff is when they sue me.

As for the big tops I've got the Halide with 14-14, 16-15 and 16-16 in black chrome and chrome but nothing in the fancy TiN stuff....yet. I'll put it on the list for next year.

Warmest regards, Joe

Thanks Joe, I appreciate the infosmile.gif and your thick skin wink.gif

Think "HH" smile.gif

Ditto on the way this thread was handled. It's nice to see some maturity on the internet these days.

Joe -

I'd just like to add my two cents about the HH guides. I'll start by saying that I'm a recent convert to the American Tackle guides. The quality seems, to me anyway, to be very good and the blue & holographic rings are an added plus that we can offer our customers. There are occasions that I stick to fuji guides though, and this is when I need the extra high frame HH guides and the high frame single foot "concept" guides. Please consider adding some higher framed single & double foot guides to you're line of guides so that I don't have to pay for over priced fuji's!