Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gary T

40 or 50

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Putting together a Lami 1201L for spinning, reel will be a Penn 704 and spooled with 15-17lb test mono. What would you guys recommend for the butt guide a 40hh or a 50? Thanks,Gary

The Penn 704Z has the biggest spool of all the Z series doesn't it? If that's correct (I think I'm thinking of the right reel) , I'd go with the 50. Now if it were a Penn 6500 SS , I'd go with the 40 HH. I always decide based on the diameter of the spool.

Hi Gary, If you do go with the 50 your best choice is American Tackle's Aluminum oxide or TiN/zirconia ring guides. The only of their kind in size 50. We give you much better performance for less money and we give you color options which is the icing on the cake. M&D's have them in stock. Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

rolleyes.gif

Hey Joe (Amtak),

Does every reply have to be a commercial for American Tackle? It's getting really old and pretty annoying.

gad

We've been keeping an eye on this for a couple of weeks now.

Informative posts would be appreciated. I'm sure you have lots of knowledge to share here Joe.

Gary,

I have 2 rods with Hardaloy 50's 2M & 2F that I use with a 706 (50lb whiplash) and one Rainshadow 1208 with a 40HH that I use 7500 Nautil(50lb Stealth).

Next time I go out(tonight??), I'll put my extra spool (20lb BG) on the 706 and cast the Rainshadow and see what happens smile.gif

gad

Gary, I'd use a 40HH.

Joe, American Tackle doesn't make anything comparable to the 40HH, do you? Please respect those who post here. This is not a place for you to mention your line eveytime some says the word guide. OK?

Another vote for the 40HH.

Gads, no need for any testing. Did plenty last year on my 10' with 20lb. BG. The 40HH handled the 706 with no problems.

Gary,

The rod is a 10' St.Croix that I rebuilt with the hi-frames. The rod was originally a factory build with PacBay Guides. The rod with the hi-frames outcasts the factory set-up by a ton. I was so impressed with the hi-frames that I'm currently rebuilding my Lami 1321M with them as well.