Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Cork Tape on thin blanks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anyone put Cork Tape on a Fluke blank? Will it be hard to lay flat, on say a blank with a 1/2" or 5/8" OD butt?

Also, just how bad will the balance be thrown off? I know it'll be tip heavy, just wondering how bad. If you have a rod like this, can you let me know your like/dislikes?

Thanks

Billy,

When I was over your house during the winter I showed you the Gx-7 I wrapped and it has 1/8" cork tape. However I did triple wrap the blank so I don't think I answered the question or at least gave you the answer you were looking for. The two extra wraps balances the rod nicely and gives it a comfortable full grip. So far so good but i have yet to put it through it's paces.

Mike W.

Remember the stick I had at the Flounderama?

IMHO, cork tape is fine as long as the foregrip and the buttgrip immediately following the realseat are large enough that my hands won't cramp after a couple hours. smile.gif

Your mileage may vary,

gad

billy, why do you think the rod will be top heavy? do you plan on using the tape above and below the reel seat? i would double-wrap the tape on a blank w/ that small a diameter.

Every rod I've felt with Cork Tape feels tip heavy. They're all surf rods, and I'm not all that familiar with Verion Wireless rods, so I figured the lack of a "real" grip would cause the balance to be a little out of whack. I'll be using a foregrip as well.

interesting. i guess i'm used to it, but i find cork tape balances out a rod nicely. to me, cork tape seems to heavier when compared to eva or cork rings. is this rod for a customer? could you use cork rings for the fore grip?

Rod is for myself. Almost every rod I've built for myself balances between 1 and 4 inches from the center of the reel. The Cork tape rods (again, they are surf rods) seem to balance way up towards the end of the foregrip.

I'm looking to make the lightest Fluke rod I can. I should take my own advice, and just wrap teh damn tape ont eh rod and tape the guides in place myself so I don't have to wonder about it any longer.