Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skoolie

Rod blank ID?????

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Just curious is there anyway of identifying a rod blank model that is already wrapped? Reason being I had a rod wrapped that was supposed to have been a GSB1081L, and I have my doubts due to stiffness of blank. It does have double foots to the top maybe that's it.

That's a tough one. A good, accurate caliper reading on the tip and butt diameters - close as you can get to the unwrapped tip, and you'd have to pull the butt cap to get a clear read on that end - would only at best confirm that it might be the correct blank (or perhaps make it quite clear that it's not). Double foot guides should not be imparting any extraordinary stiffness to the action. There's actually some school of thought that the slight added weight of those "softens" a rod's perceived action just a bit.

The GSB1081L is no super lightweight "whippy" blank by any means, but a fairly ballsy nine footer. Did you see or handle another similarly finished GSB1081L which seems radically different from yours?

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 11-10-2002).]

Bill, I've never handled another GSB108L wrapped as a spinner but other Lami's I've thrown seem to be some of the nicest loading rods around. This rod seems to have a sweet spot at the top of it's rating of 2.5. and it hates anything less than 1.5 Maybe it's me but this rod is stout. Using braid on it is impossible I lose fish constantly.

Somethin' definitely doesn't sound right if that's the way it's loading. That sounds even stiffer by a good margin than a GSB1081M. One of the few one piece nine footers comes to mind which behaves quite like that's not a even a Lami, but the All Star (Breakaway) 1088.

Skoolie, if the rod has been built as a 9' model then measure it in several spots with calipers for me.

first 5" from tip

2nd 36" from tip

3rd 52" from tip.

Todd

skoolie---it's real easy to tell an All Star from a Lami. All Lamis have a gloss finish and all of the All Stars have a matte finish.

Something definitely sounds amiss there. I can throw 3/4 oz fine on a Lami 120 1L. And 1-1/2 on a 120 1M. I don't own any Lami 9' rods, but sumpin' sounds wrong there.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 11-10-2002).]

Todd I got the measurements, well all but the 3rd one it's under collector guide. 5" from tip is 35/1000 and 36" from tip is 100/1000. Hope this is what ya' needed Thanks again

Sounds like the GSB108 1M blank - but even that should be comfortable casting 1oz cwm13.gif

I think you need to have a serious talk with the person who built it for yah - ask them to produce some paperwork that shows that it's a GSB108 1L - they should have some paperwork, just in case it fails under warranty. Shouldn't they?

TimS