Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Breakaway 1145 vs. 1085?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

These two list the same rating on weight and line, but one blank looks like it should be a lot lighter than the other. Anyone know how they compare? Everybody seems to love the 1145; why not the 1085?

Pastor:

I just built a rod based on the 1085 and it is a sweet rod. Its very light and seems to a nice action. I sent to my brother in law as a christmas present so I can't vouch for its fishing qualities.

I don't know much about the 1145.

I recommend that you call up Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe, NC and ask them about the differences between the 1085, 1145, and the 1087 rods. They build almost exclusively on Alstar blanks and have been involved in some those blanks' development.

The Allstar 1087 is a great rod. I built that for a friend of mine and was amazed at its casting abilities (I hit 150 yards with a 2 oz coin sinker, measured on a golf course). Hatteras Jacks recommended the 1087 over the 1145 as a better rod for working surface lures.

Saltheart knows alot about Allstar/Breakaway blanks and will probably weigh in here.

Tom

My experience has been that there's a little interest in the 1145 , a ton of interest in the 1265 and no interest in the 1085. I think its because he 1145 and 1265 are two piece rods. People get a longer rod for longer casting but it breaks down to two piece for riding in the car which is a popular feature. The 1265 is the most often requested Allstar I make. next is the 1208 and the 1266. The 1209 is a popular heavy canal jigging rod (pool cue)and mini bait heaver.

There is a 1085-2. Does nobody ever request this? I thought the 1145-2 was also an equal-length two piece. I agree with the folks who require 2-piece; I don't have any good way to transport a 10 foot one piece either.

PastorMarty, strangly enough, Im building a 1145 along with the 1266, got a good deal. The 1145 seems like the next step down from the 1266. The web site for Allstar is wrong in its listing in the blank lure weight ratings. They rate the blanks too low. Supposedly they were going to change it soon, but havent done it yet. Email them if you have more questions, they seem very helpful.

Tim,

The new catalog is at the printer's. As soon as we get it we will update our website. Sorry for the delay.

For the most accurate information on the Breakaway line you can contact Ryan White at Hatteras Jack. He has the most experience with this line. His e-mail is hatterasjack@mindspring.com

Sharon Johnson

All Star

All Star