Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

blank question?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I thought i could sneak a quick question in before you left for mecca!!

Have you (or anyone for that mattersmile.gif ever built a rod on this lami glass blank? : SSH109 5M

It is sold as a salmon /steel head rod , it's a 2pc and i was just wondering what the capabilities of the blank were. thanks in advance

Hi Brian Z and Al G:

The E-Glass version of that blank was known in "Mikes Tackle Shop" in Sheepshead Bay as the Rebel and Redfin rod. Mikes never carried the S-Glass version, nor did he carry Bombers as they weren't invented yet!!

S-Glass and Braid will probably extend the utility(Range of lures) that this rod will throw, I would have to poke the ceiling a bit to really tell.

BZ, the SSH109 5M...first of all, they ain't makin' 'em anymore. Second...it's specs are as follows:

9', 2 piece, .750 butt, 7 1/2 tip, 5 1/4oz weight, and 1/2 to 1oz lure range.

That all adds up to buggy whip! smile.gif Sounds like a nice piece...but probably very similar to yer 8ft S-glass stick yallready got wink.gif

TimS

Tim:

Do you know if Lami will still be making the E-Glass model? This is the stick all the Jamaica Bay pluggers used in the spring/summer to throw rebels and redfins. that was with Mono. I imagine that this would be a real weapon with 20-30# braid to throw plugs in the 3 1/2-5 1/2" range.

Actually Prefessa, I gotta go all the way back to the 2000 blank catalog to find the SSH103 2F or the SSH109 5M under fiberglass steelhead/salmon rods. The 2001 catalog lists only the SH126 4F (2 piece) and the SH126 5F (2 piece) under fiberglass salmon/steelhead blanks. The 2002 catalog (got it 2 days agosmile.gif) lists only the same two SH126 blanks. So the SSH rods haven't been listed as available blanks since the 2000 catalog. If you are interested in obtaining an SSH109 5M, I can see if Todd's got one lyin' around..he sometimes does that smile.gif

TimS