Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DANe

Rod Balance

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Normally when one speaks of rod and reel balance they are addressing proportion/size.Example: you have a 10.5ft surf rod, conventional, that is rated for 1-4 oz weight and 12-25lb line.I think that most fishermen would say that the minimum reel for this rod would be something like an ABU 6500C with probably 15 or 17lb running line and a 40-50lb shock leader. That's a pretty well balanced combination.

Now if you're addressing physical balance as in balance point, then it's a different story.

For myself with conventionals I would like for the balance point to be right at the reelseat trigger with the weight I'm probably going to use the most.The problem,especially with surf rods, is that to attain the balance point one desires,with the weight to be cast, one must weight the butt to the point where it's just too heavy to be practical.This is especially true with graphite rods.

With surf rods that are going to be used primarily as bait throwers the weight and balance point isn't quite the factor as it is for a lure throwing rig.The bait launcher will simply be held or placed in a sand spike and not cast all that much normally.

A lure slinger on the other hand is,to some a very different story.A lure slinger that is balanced to the users desires or at least as close as possible can make a huge difference in the fatigue factor when one is constantly casting and retrieving.

On a spinner I like the balance point to be as close to the aft end of the forward foregrip as possible. Again it's all in the desires of the person who uses the rod.Neil

Surf rods are two handed tools. The apparently tip heavy long surf rod is actually pretty comfortably balanced as soon as you put you other hand on the end of the butt.

Think of it like a drumstick. If its weighted forward, you get more leverage and better feel. You wouldn't want to swing any rod other than a fly rod that's not forward balanced. You also have to overcome air resistance, which can be considerable. A forward weighted rod balances better against the swing through the air. Anytime at all if you add weight to a rod you lower the performance, even to the back end. On a surf rod, the general idea is to put the rod in your armpit and put the reel seat so that your thumb comes to the center of the reel with arm extended. don't add weight. You would hate it.