Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Lure Washer

how do I do it

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Guys I got a glass rod from a friend Who found it i a dumpster at work. its About 8'8" long. Real beefy for a shorter rod. He replaced the guides and handle and every thing else. But when he did that, he painted the blank and the coated the whole thing in epoxy after it was wrapped. Now I have it and it needs a few new guides and some new paint. how can i remove the epoxy with out the use of a rod lathe or power wrapper. all the help I can get would be great.

... how can i remove the epoxy with out the use of a rod lathe or power wrapper. all the help I can get would be great.

Even with the use of a rod lathe or power wrapper, a complete cleanup of the blank would be a nightmare-ish operation. I can't begin to imagine putting that sort of effort into a dumpster rod. Do what's little as necessary to replace the damaged guides and just fish it ugly.

Use a single edge razor blade laid almost parrallel to the blank and across the blank. Do not use the point. Use a hair dryer to soften epoxy rod finish.. The key to this operation is slow and easy. Haste makes a ruined blank. I have a lot of years of experience and it still takes me a long time to do a rod.

I can't begin to imagine putting that sort of effort into a dumpster rod.

Below is a 9' Browning Silaflex "Dumpster Rod."

Had to be totally Stripped & rebuilt. If you think it'll make a nice rod when it's done, than it's worth doing.

dumpsterrod.jpg

this "dumpster rod" is a sweet rod. Ive been bugging him for it since i used it over the summer. Its light enough for casting plugs, casts eels a mile, and i did some bait dunking with about 4 ounces of lead and a chunk of mack.

...If you think it'll make a nice rod when it's done, than it's worth doing.

If it's a normal amount of typical stripping down just guide wraps and handle components, of course it can be worth doing if the blank is sound. My response was to the question at hand, in which it sounded to me like an attempt to completely redo a blank which had been painted and then epoxied over, full length. If that's indeed what he's after, I'll stick with my opinion. Waaaaaay more trouble than it's worth; patch it up and fish it ugly.