Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marky1

Rod Finish

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Finally got to finish re-wrapping my 11.5 Lami.-1pc. My question is ; What are your suggestions for the "finsh coat"?...Flex Coat...American Tackle,PermaGloss ? What would you recommend ? Thanks in advance.

Marky,

What finish have you used in the past that you have had success with?

Pac Bay has their new Rodsmith finish out and people are liking it. I also hear that Aftco has Aftcote and it is great stuff.

I'm still using my Crystal Coat ( I have alot since I stocked up) but I'm trying Aftcote and Rodsmith on the next two.

The reason I ask which you have liked is, it takes some getting used to finishes and if you have one that works for you, I'd use that. Unless you have time to experiment on a few dummy wraps on a stick or something to work out the bugs of a new finish.

Happy Rolling,

CD

The reason why I ask is ,I built this rod maybe 15 yrs. ago. I used Flex-coat,and was wondering if there was anything better ,and do not want to do it again in 5 or 10yrs.(re-wrap). Thanks

marky1;; i'm been using classic rod coat /clear rod finish ultra violet

protected polymer

and use clear coat too.

all way use 3 cc. of part A /B .

a clear flexible finish.

give it a tried.

nothing last for ever!!!!!

Why not use a urethane-based finish like Permagloss? No mixing required, it's tougher and more flexible, you can put coats on only an hour apart to get a higher build, and it won't yellow like Flex Coat. Only downside is that it is a nightmare to get the guides back off if you ever need to replace one, and also the fumes are not pleasant.

I use it for all my guides.

If you prefer epoxy, I like LS Supreme for it's clarity and ease of use. Flex Coat is fine too, but only on dark wraps.

I don't have problems with flexcoat yellowing. LS Supreme definitely would be my last choice.

So I guess you never put Flexcoat on light colored threads... It turns yellowish/brown in about a month of fishing. Not like it's an opaque yellow, but it gets an off-color. Put it on white wraps somtime and watch what happens. It's ugly as sin after a couple days in the sun, while LS Supreme stays perfectly clear.

I do think Flexcoat is the best finish in terms of ease of use, particularly in terms of leveling nicely. LS does not level nearly as well, although I find if I only count on 5 minutes of working time I can get it to work well enough...

canyondiver

yes amttak clear coat nice finnish real clear

i all way use 3 cc. of part a /b/ you have more consistency.

i like the new polymer finnish's ..i dry it for 4 to 6 hours depending on temperture.[60to 70 degs]

and no yellowing with the polymer

eddie

LS Supreme is still my favorite. In fact, I stopped trying new ones after I starting using LS Supreme, I have no problems.

Please spend $8 on Aftcote for me, and try it.

Three year old Flex Coat. Fished hard and still looks like it did the day it was wrapped.

Nice wrap- you do good work! But the reason you don't see the change is because it's yellowed evenly across the entire wrap. If you had coated half the wrap with LS Supreme or another non-yellowing epoxy, and half with Flexcoat, you could see the difference.

I know you don't believe it- so try it for yourself. Do a white wrap on a scrap piece of white blank. Coat half with Flexcoat and half with an epoxy which uses a non-yellowing hardener. Put it outside for two weeks, then take a look at it. You will be surprised...