Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
corbina

building lami GSB1502MH

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have seen many post on cutting 2inchs from the tip on the 1502MH to make it sweet for 6-8oz.

What TIP SIZE should you have to be sweet for 6-8oz.?

Are all the blanks so perfect(the same size)at the tip that cutting 2" does the job?

What is the best Guide type and set-up for a 525mag? and distance to first guide?

I was going to use SVSG or BHVLG and tip with PST-16. Have not found 20 tips.

Is there any advantage to using NSG on the last 4-6 guides?

I have seen this on high-end custom rods?

Caution green rod builder at work!

Thank

[ 02-02-2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: corbina ]

Corvina,

Looks like you are going to build a conventional "light heaver". Depending on your budget, you can go with either NSG SIC or BNLG Hardloy guides in the following sizes:

30,25,20,16,16,16....16 and a PST tip with a #16 ring.

The number of #16 guides will be determined by a stress distribution test.

Initially place the #30 stripper guide 36 inches from the front of the reelseat. Space out the remaining guides, tape them in place and do a stress distribution test. If the line touches the blank between the reel and the #30 guide, then move the guide a little closer to the reel. Keep doing a stress distribution until the line stops touching the blank. Then adjust the spacing on the remaining guides and repeat the stress distribution checking the line from guide to guide.

Thanks Al,

I was going to do the stress spacing on the tip section for spacing but did not think of the stress for selecting stripper guide location.

I need to build some type of holder for the stress test. The way I am doing it now I need a third hand.

Thanks

Mine is cut 3" from the tip...will smoke 6-8&bait.

I need to put a 16 ring tip on mine, its gotta 12 on it now, just dont look right.

Mine is set up 25, 20, 20, 16, 16, 16, 12 tip. All of em Fuji NSG's. If you wanna keep the line up higher off the blank you can try puttin SVSG's for the first 3 guides, then NSG's for the last 3...have one rod like that and it works really well.

Adam

Thanks,

I plan to use PST-16tip, the SVSG to NSG sounds good.

What is your tip diameter at 3" cut, just to check my blank to see if a 3"cut on my has the same tip diameter after cutting? Do you "Off the ground cast?

I will be OTG casting not PNDLM so that may make a diference on how much I should cut???

Does it?

[ 02-06-2004, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: corbina ]