Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gundalba

Flex coat - other uses

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Flexcoat brand also makes a Rod bond which is essentially 30 minute epoxy and unlike the finish , the rodbond is good for seats and handles etc. On the other hand , some people do use the finish for everything and get away with it. I wouldn't.

i also would not use 5 minute epoxy. Not enough working time and its gets brittle with time. I only use the 5 minute for tips. I use the rodbond for narrow gap seats and handles etc and i use the pasty Kardohl for larger gap seats.

Just wondering if Flex Coat can be a good epoxy for reel seat, cork handle and butt cap??? confused.gif

Thanks,

Sure you can, but most people don't since it's expensive, takes long to set and is runny. Heck, I know pro builders that use wood glue for cork grips with good/long lasting results. Many production rods are built with water based glues instead of epoxy.

I like 2-ton epoxy for grips and reel seats since 5 minute is a bit brittle and 2T gives a half hour of working time. For butt caps and rod tips I use 5 minute. It makes them easier to remove with heat.

I was thinking of refinishing a reel and then coating w/ flex coat. Any thoughts? The paint is testors enamel. Would this react w/ the flex coat?

Nice and thick... First time I saw it in person was at Billy40s. I use Evercoat paste epoxy, but it's way more $$ than Rod Bond, so when I run out I'll get some Rod Bond and some Kardhol and see which one I like better. Is the Kardhol viscous enough that it doesn't sag at lets say, 1/2" or less for at least 15 seconds? I need super thich stuff for the offshore tackle I build. Some of the shims get pretty thick smile.gif !

as mentioned above it runs, therefore hard to contain when installing a reel seat. But, if you ever encounter a loose reel seat if can save your a--. Drill 1/8 hole through the seat where the reel foot sits and inject the flex coat. Mask ends for safety, lay horizontal and wait. Works great.

After mixing , the kardohl is not that thick. It is very thick cmpared to the liquid epoxy but apparently not as Pasty (ooo I like that word smile.gif ) as you are describing the UD-40.