Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Holy Cow

Best EEL Casting Rod...

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

...matched up to a Mag 6500 or 6600 with 30 pound power pro would be an 1-Allstar 10 rod? 2- 1266 Allstar 10'6' footer? 3- an 11 foot XRA? or would or could you even think of a 12 rod? Looking to up grade from my 10 Allstar rod...any suggestions! Thank you! HC

A nice eel stick is also the Lami triflex CSB1201m, I've got it matched with an Abu 6500. The arra 1322 is sweet as well, but I think better suited for long range plugging. The arra is not a snap push/pull cast and will load nicely with an eel. Look into the glass 11' SB136 series as well. I myself when tip/jetty fishing use the SB1213m (untrimmed) its heavy, but at 10' very manageable. The allstar 1208 gets a lot of play as well...sorry I'm sure you are as confused as ever, but I got em' all and use them all for the eels.

Jeff

Im using a 1201L, but and strognly considering stripping the guides off a CSB 1201 (triflex) and re wrapping that as a conventional. It should be an awesome eelin and probly even live lining stick.

I currently use a loomis 1266 for eeling but am building myself an Allstar 1265. Since i can make myself any rod I want , the choice of the 1265 for myself says a lot.

Another good eel rod is the Lami Arra 1322. I think the arra 1204 is good for smaller eels.

Saltheart,If you like the XRA 1204 and 1322 then you will really enjoy fishing with the new XRA 1084 9' for live eeling and larger lures.The XRA 1084 blank only weighs 6oz. I am using a VS 200 with 30# Power Pro on it. I have fished and cast the 7/8 oz Habs popper and 3oz Gibbs Polaris Popper with excellent results- past fall season.

I wasn't denigrating the 1084 Ron and I apologize if it seemed that way...I love the Lami Arras..I currently use 2,(also Saltheart builds smile.gif ) a 1083 and a 1322, both spinners and both awesome performing rods...I just happen to really like the 1265/Sportsmag levelwind combo for eeling....no offense to you or slight on the Arra series intended.

I don't know where your casting to with a 10 or 11' eel rod. I think anything more than eight or nine feet is kind of a waste since when your throwing eels, it's usually right across the tips of jetties. I use the BMB965M for eeling.

Nice power and not a lot of wasted rod out there.

I fished an 11.5 foot eel rod for about 16 years. It had nothing to do with casting the eels but had to do with being able to reach over boulders etc in front of me where I was fishing. I still prefer longer eeling rods for normal waterfront. Off breachways or in channels i like shorter but off a typical coastal area in a boulder field , i like the length. I still use one 10.5 feet.