Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fabe76

40 HH stripper guide

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Can anybody tell me the differance between a size 40HH guide and a regular size 40? For instance I know that its a high frame In the catalog I have a only see a listing for a 40 HH in Fuji BHVLG Which is a hardaloy could I substitute a size 40 Alconite or SIC or do they only make them in Hardloy? Thanks

They make em in Sic!

The difference is the height off the blank.

The HH is considerably taller and for a surf rod, is my guide of choice for a stripper (here it comes you dirty minded poeple) biggrin.gif

Hi there, do avoid the high frame guides if you're a braid user. The high frame tend to catch braid and if you're lucky it's just a wasted lure. In more bizarre cases the entire guide collaspes when your line catches on it when casting. IMHO the regular NSG/MNSG or the new LC guides are more reliable.

I think if you are catching the braid in the guide , the distance from the reel to the gathering guide may need adjusting.

You can also turn that gathering guide around so the single foot faces the reel rather than the double foot. that gets rid if the two pinch points where I'm guessing the braid gets stuck.

If you use a high frame that is too large,with braid, it will catch the guide. For most surf applications, with braid, a 25HH fits the bill. For lighter applications you could even knock the size down to a 16 if your fishing #20 braid,with a Penn 710Z sized reel.