Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
widgeon58

Tuning an UC 4600 Abu

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Can anybody help me with a copy or point me in the right direction on where on the net I can find a copy of Jon Furman's article on tuning UC reels have one that I want to use for casting lures for Murray Cod in the rivers and casting lures off the beach for Salmon and Tailor here In Australia,can find articles of his that reference this material, but not the article itself?

Thanks

Christopher

Scot

Thanks for the update on Jon and glad that I am not the only one who can't find the article if any other members of SOL have a copy of it and would like to send a copy of it to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher

Have contacted Jerry and awaiting a reply and have read Jon's article on the two faces of ABU ultracast but the article I am refering to is this one "I have written a tuning guide for these UC reels, and found that if you experiment a little with them, they become very good, controlled casters undeserving of there short range casting reputation."He mentions it in the article and its the one I am looking for, the sentence in " " comes the two faces of  ABU ultracast and I accessed from the SOL website and am assuming it's the same one on Jerry's site.

Thanks for the input so far, but as yet I don't think I have the article I am looking for.

well honestly, ANY reel can be tuned to perform better. Just depends on what material is available for upgrades and/or how much effort/money you are willing to put into it.

Sometimes upgrading or tuning what you have in fact is just turning the reel into a one of the higher lines and can cost more than just buying that more expensive reel to begin with.

I could turn my blackmax into something like a revo SX, but by the time I was done, it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a revo sx.

Scot don't disagree am only trying to find Jon's article to see what he did and I will make my call after seeing what was done and how much it will cost if I want to go down that road. My main objective is to just find the article and read it.

I've never seen the article but I can relate what I did to mine. The large bearings with factory oil, do tend to hold the reel back some but it can still be a great caster.

On the UC using the stock ABEC #3 bearings lubed with Red Rocket Fuel. I was getting about 50ft less distance than with my 6500 C6 using the same Red Rocket Fuel on ABEC #7 bearings.

I installed some ABEC #5 SS bearings from Boca and oiled TSI 321. Then changed the brake weights from white to the lighter black weights. Now there is only about a 20ft casting difference in the 2 reels.

Worm gears were all oiled with Abu Silicate.

Thanks for that ABUDoc, just to fill me in further what weight(s)? were you casting with both reels and on what size/length rod, secondly have not used  TSI 321 am assuming its less viscous than Red Rocket Fuel?

There's a nice tuning guide on tackle tour's web site.... A few things I did to one awhile aside from bearings was poilshed the spindle ends and the metal to metal moving parts and removed the bearing shields.

Quote:

Thanks for that ABUDoc, just to fill me in further what weight(s)? were you casting with both reels and on what size/length rod, secondly have not used  TSI 321 am assuming its less viscous than Red Rocket Fuel?

I was casting 3oz. bank sinkers, both reels were spooled with 40lb, suffix braid. They are mounted on 7 ft. Shakespeare white cat rods, rated for 15/30 line. I assume these rods are shorter than what you will be using for surf casting. Cast were made holding the rod behind me and parallel to the ground with the weight sitting on the ground at the start of the cast. For the way I fish there is no need for a better casting technique than that.

285' with the 6500C6 and 267' with the UC 6500.  

You assume right TSI 321 is much thinner than Red Rocket fuel, more in line with Quantum Hot Sauce. Only it last a lot longer so I do not have to re-oil as much. You could get close to the same gains using Quantum Hot Sauce since you may not be able to get TSI321 in Australia.

Also remove the factory grease from the white spool gear and cog wheel, run them dry and lube the cog wheel shaft with TSI 321.

Clean the Worm Gear and oil with Abu Silicate oil and oil the worms gears bushings with TSI 321.

As novamega said you could Lightly polish the ends of the spool shaft with 2000 grit wet dry paper.  Wrap the same paper around the end of a Q-tip and polish the inside of the pinion gear. Be very careful not to change the shape of the spool shafts end or alter the tolerance of the pinion gear. Doing so would be counter productive.

Most of your gains I believe will come from the new bearings and re-oiling. With the polishing being noticed more in a distance casting reel, when you are using a more aerodynamic weight than the average lure.

Thanks Novamega and abudoc

Will make those changes and see what happens, would taking the level wind off and putting a CT bar in help, as the UC 4600 is the only reel of the 6 ABU"s that I regularly use (2500, 4600,5000, 6500,7000 and 9000) fitted with a level wind?. I think I can buy the TSI 321 on line ex the USA, so i will try to get that as well otherwise it will be the Hot Sauce.

I have never CTed one of the UC's. But I would guess you will get the same kind of distance gains as you would get by turning a 4600 into a CT.

There is a lot of friction in the Level wing systems. So it takes a lot of the spools momentum to power the level wind.