Followers 0
Springer

Guide Feet

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Just wrap it up, and your good to go.

goodtogo.jpg

poster1.jpg

Seriously, I just press the foot down on a piece of wood, both at once or one at a time, whatever needs to be done. You can take some matieral off the underside with a round file too, if necessary, then buff and polish to smooth it out.

Grip the foot in a pair of smooth jaw pliers and gently bend the foot and only the foot. You can crack the glue joint if you really wail on the guide.

If you carefully bend the entire leg this works but takes a bit more care.

Ok I am really passionate about ring feet prep before wrapping. The pic of the guide shown is typical of how we get rings straight out of the packet.

If we had the same problem with a guide that was going to be wrapped on a thin walled blank we could cause the toes of the ring to burst through the blank wall over time if we were to just wrap on top and with say only a medium thread tension to.

Pressing the guide flat on a flat surface will not work very well nor will using a piece of wood. I am not trying to be God it's just that I have built many many rods and I just know by lifes painful experience.

OK This is my procedure.

First off I file the toe area of the guide to a thin edge using very small say 4 inch fine cut flat files. I then finish with 400 grad wet and dry paper and polish up with 1200 grade.

I do not shorten the length of the feet.

I try to keep the rounded toe profile

I don't have a razor sharp angle on the toe either.

No fraze is left on the guide.

I never ever use a grind wheel as this can heat the guide and change the steels properties. It is crude and the way commercial rods are built.

Ok next I bend the feet to make them lie almost flat. I do this with small flat Engineers pliers. I bend each foot in turn and constantly check progress. Previuos post was bang on . Do not bend too far or you will transfer stresss to the actual ring centre and may crack the glue bond or worse still crack the liner.

The reason you want a small angle with the toe touching first is that once you have wrapped one leg the guide foot on the other leg tends to come off the blank.

Some guides are worse than others for this. Fuji BNHG asyimetrical designed type frames are the worst.

I check on a piece of old blank to see how the feet shape up before wrapping.

Yes as I said I am just a bit anal about getting this job done right. The thinner the blank wall the more important this process is to do right.

Finally it's best to leave the underside of the foot alone. There can be situations when it is necessary to adjust the radious of the curve but this is for experienced builders.

Cheers

Mike O.