Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

"Static Deflection" - or gettin' it right the first time!

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Mr. Al, greetings and good day smile.gif I have a question...one that if it has been answered before, I might not have gotten' it or sumthing.

I got the whole conventional guide layout thing pretty much down to a science...and I understand the reasoning behind the layout of the guides for conventional.

When it comes to spinning rods, I do have one major question - how do you decide how far the collector guide should be from the reel seat? I mean, I understand it must be far enough...but what is far enough and how is it determined? And, conversely, can it be too far? Obviously it can be waaay too far, but how would you know if it was a little too far...or a little too close for that matter?

Please help, I'm stuck wondering these things while hiding from the evil ball of burning gasses in the sky and figger I could lay out a rod or two waiting for clouds, rain, or darkness to save me smile.gif

TimS

Tim,

Now you are asking for "trade secrets". Seriously though, the placement of the stripper guide on a spinning rod is determined by several factors:

- The diameter of the spool face.

- The type, line weight and limpness of the line you will be using.

- The height of the base of the guide ring from the blank.

I have been using the Fuji high-frame surf spinning guides for along time now. Converting "Old Salts" to these guides was a challenge, However, once they tried them and their casting performance inproved, they were quickly converted.

You cannot use a set spacing formula to do it right. All it gives you is a starting point.

For a typical 10-11 foot surf spinning rod I initially position the 40HH stripper guide 42-45 inches from the face of the spool. I then position the remaining guides as I wrote in a number of previous posts.

I then tape all the guides in place and test cast it.

When I am ready to test cast the rod, take a piece of flannel cloth and vigorously rub down the area on the blank between the reel and the stripper. This will create static electricity. Spinkle a little talcum powder onto the blank area you just rubbed down. The static electricity will cause the powder to stick to the blank.

Gently tap the butt of the rod on the groud several times with the rod in a vertical position. This will remove any excess powder.

Test cast the rod. Check the powdered area after each cast. If there are streaks on the blank where the powder came off then you are having "line slap" on the blank. Move the stripper one inch closer to the reel. Then re-powder and cast again.

As long as you are getting line slap keep adjusting the guide position. On the other hand, if you are not experiencing line slap then move the stripper guide further up the blank.

When you are not getting any line slap and you are achieving good casting distance, then you have achieved the optimal position for the stripper guide. Now do a final adjustment of the position of the remaining guides.

Al

Errr...I wasn't lookin' fer trade secrets...sorry icon15.gif

K, I got all that...and good stuff it was! Lets say it was an 8 1/2' rod fer instance...and the person wrapping it was opposed to something as heavy and bulky as a 40HH guide (that would be mewink.gif) Pretty fast taper...butt 20" to start of reel seat. What would be a good collector guide for this set up? I'll only be using braid. Probably a medium sized reel like a Taurus 5000 or Nautil 6500. This actually is leading me to another dilemma...with an 8 1/2' spinning rod, is the goal to taper the guides gradually to the tip size or to used a fixed number of guides? I mean, let's say I started with a 40 BNLG...and I wanna 10 tip...am I forced to go 40, 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10? Or can ya skip some and go 40, 30, 20, 16, 12? I'm still not comfortable with the high frame jobs...I can't get them to go from a 30H down to the tip size I wanna use in a smooth transition.

Lots of questions...it's good to find you also hiding from the sun wink.gif

TimS

Not hiding from the sun, actually I am fighting a dose of bronchitis. Must get better quickly in order to not screw up my Montauk plans the next two weeks. I have been working down in the shop trying to finish up a few rods.

The HH guides are really for 10-11 foot high surf rods with big reels. Stepping down to a 40 is fine, my preference would be a BSVLG. Also, skipping a guide size is perfectly acceptable as long as the rod loads properly when fighting a good fish.

40,30,20, 16, 12, 10 and a tip on an 8.5 foot rod is fine.

Al

Thanks Al smile.gif

One more question....let's say on a 9' spinning rod, you use the high frame jobs...like BHVLG30H, 25H, 25M, 20M, 16L...where do you go from there if you'd like 2 more guides and say a 10 tip? Would you switch to say BSVLG for a 12 and a 10? Or could you switch to BNLG for a 12 and a 10?

I told ya I wonder a lot wink.gif

Hope you feel better soon!

TimS

Tim,

If this is a heavy spinning rod then I would go with the BSVLG's just to keep the profile.

However, if this is a light action 9 footer I would suggest the Fuji single foot high-frame YSG's in 30,25,20,16,12 and 10. For additonal guides just double up on the 12's and 10's.

Thanks, I am feeling better but not 100%. Just came up frome the shop after putting on the final coats on a 1322 and 1321. Starting on a 1204 and another 1322.

Have a good week.

Al