ferrule care???

Rate this topic

Thumb-Burner

One of my heavers is very "scratchy" on the male section of the ferrule joint.. I've tried to clean the male and female sections but it's full of surface scrathes and sounds and feels like it's still scratching when i join the rod..

help? how bet to clean the inside of the female side (no jokes please!) HappyWave.gif

seems like someone said something about wax a while back?

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

NO WAX!!!

This is how ferrules get scratched.

Wax will trap contaminants and cause you more grief.

I'd guess what you feel now (after cleaning things up) is the scratched up parts simply grinding together.

There are ways to repair the male ferrule but it is a bit tricky and quite tedious.

You might try a light wet sanding with 2,000-4,000 grit and polish the clear coat back to a shine with a buffing pad and some fine rouge.

Be very careful not to cut through the finish!

CD

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

With regard to care of the ferrules on rods I tried using wax in the past. Parafin wax, bees wax and candle wax. I found that they had a tendency to get gummed up and sand and other debris would stick to it.

I cleaned all of the wax off using mineral spirits on a q-tip for inside the female section. Used denatured alcohol on the male section with a rag.

Now I use a product called "ferrule lube" made by Trondak U-40. You can get this from most any vendor that sells rod building supplies. It applies easy. I started using it last year and I like it much better than the wax, no gummy buildup and sand and grit does not seem to stick to it.

So far so good.

All the best