Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakjoe

Guide size for lamiglas

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have this 10'6 lamiglas steelhead rod, it is rated for 1/2 to 2 1/2 lures, I am using a shimano 5000 reel, seems like the first guide (guide closest to reel) is too small for reel...any ideas about this. I learned a lesson, after I had this rod made they guy gave it to me and said that this was his first surf rod, I will only go to someone who builds surf rods next time

KJ,

I rewrapped the bottom three guides on my Lami 8'6" Kenai King spinning rod using larger guides as follows: BSVLG 40, 30, 20. (Steelhead rods often use smaller butt guides as casting distance isn't very important.) The rod now performs much better as a light plugging rod. For a 10'6" rod, you might even consider going with high frame guides for the first few guides such as the BHVLG guides. So, how about asking the guy who made it to rewrap the guides to your specs. Mark

I have casted it and it does not give me the distance I was hoping for,can you explain these other type of guides youre talking about and by the way my first guide is 1 inch inside measurement. Will smaller guides really cut down on casting distance

KJ,

It's not necessarily the guide ring diameter that determines casting distance. The position of the butt guide and size of the guide frame also figure into the equation. For example, sometimes you can get away with a guide of smaller ring diameter if it is a high frame guide (such as using a BHVLG 40 instead of a BSVLG 50 on a surf rod). You want the butt guide to be positioned so that line coming off the spool heads in a straight line towards the butt guide without slapping the blank. Lots of things to take into consideration with setting up a custom rod. Al's series of articles here on SOL cover many of the important aspects of setting up a rod.