Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Dad

Rod building for dummies?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what the basics are to start building/re-building my own rods.....

I'd like to hit some garge sales in the spring and pick up some old stuff and make it my own with new guides, seat, grips ect.

What's best to look for?

Also what are some good cheap (but good) blanks to build for throwin bait?

I'd to do a set of like six bait rods.

What do I need as the basics to start equipment wise?

I'll start with that.....hope ya don't mind another newbie here...it's something I've wanted to do for a long time and time is gettin right....

get thread, Finish, epoxy, isopropyl alcohol, burnishing tool, Patience,time and money and your set..good luck sandpaper, scotchbrite, Exacto blades biggrin.gif ,

That don't sound bad.....no fancy spin a ma jig?

If you are only making a few , you don't need a fancy "spinnamajig".

You can get a big box and put V grooves on two sides and spin by hand.

I wouldn't go with cheap components. i would buy good stuff like blanks and guides and seats and take a long time to be sure its all done perfect. You will be amazed at how good the first one will come out if ou take your time and will regret you used cheaper parts.

Ditto Saltheart's point - I've got a basement full of half-a$$ed, cheaply built rods that I completely regret having wasted the $$$ on. Do it right, or don't bother.

Mr. Mom: There are several good books and videos available for beginners. I would think that most of the places where you buy components will have them. I would suggest a slow turning motor for the application of finish .John

Don't know where you are, but I think it's always a plus, particularly for a first timer to buy a blank locally. This way you can check it out before you buy to make sure it's what you want, and you're not dealing with shipping and potential damage. A one piece blank can get awfully expensive to ship onesey twosey.

Leave the rod building to those that know. Ya just can't be good at everything.

After having a couple nice customs done, you quickly see that there's alot more to it than wrapping thread.

If you really think about it, rod building is a very special "experience". It's a very few chance in your life that you can build your own "tool". Nowaday, anything and everything is prebuild/prepackaged/prefrozen/can-be-done-cheaper for you. If you have similar feeling, then go ahead and try it, and don't do it to save $ because you won't.

I'm about to start wrapping my own as well. I got a book by Tom Kirkland- "Rod-Building Guide, Fly-Spinning-Casting-Trolling" that I think is an excellent starting point.

I'm about to start wrapping my own as well. I got a book by Tom Kirkland- "Rod-Building Guide, Fly-Spinning-Casting-Trolling" that I think is an excellent starting point.

Kirkman *(&^&*^ edit! cwm13.gif

Kirkman's book is a great primer. Easy reading, great photos, a clear conceptual guide. Sorry Charleston, I don't agree with you. If you're good with your hands, and you have the desire, go for it. If you take your time, and make sure you understand exactly how you want to execute each stage of the construction of the rod, there's no reason why you have to "leave it to the experts". Of course if you want a custom butt wrap with an elaborate pattern, that's another story, but there's no law that says a well made rod has to have elaborate design elements. I built my first rod, a Lami GSB1081L last winter, used it almost exclusively this past season, and it's still my rod of choice over the factory rods I own.