Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingballyhoo

Arrgggg.....Rod sex-change

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday, at the beach I see a pod of breaking fish off the bar. Grab my trusty magic wand (a steelhead blem I wrapped this winter) and wade out after the fish. First cast I get one on. Here's where I make an error in judgement. I've got the rod in one hand, the plug with the blue attached in the other. I need some more line to work with so I can tuck the rod under my arm. Well, I try a shortcut, put a wicked bend in the rod so that the drag will give me a few feet. SNAP. I'h holding a ticked-off blue and my formerly two-piece rod is now a three-piece. It broke just about five inches above the ferrule. mad.gif On the way home I picked up a file. Dead-eyeing it I took a little off both ends. Miracle of miracles, I got things just right. The top piece slips into the bottom piece like it was built that way. Here's the problem since what used to be the male ferrule is now the female and the female now the male (I can hear the jokes already) the rod doesn't have a natural stop and, if it weren't for the guides, I could basically feed the top half into the bottom half. What should I do? Since, for the time being, the fit is snug, should I a.) epoxy the rod into a one-piece (what kind of epoxy? rod-build or flexcoat?) b.)create some sort of stop so that the rod won't insert past a certain point? c.) use it till it breaks ?

Your expertise is appreciated. Thanks.

you were lucky... last guy i saw try that ended up with the blue coming off the hook and slipping out of his hand at the same time... lure (2 oz metal) went straight up his nose from the force of the bend in the rod and lodged a nice j-hook in his nose up to the eye...

BE careful!!!

I had a hand on the plug and not the fish. Still, I agree it was a stupid mistake. But what I really want to know is what do you guys think my chances are of saving the patient?

King,

Give at a shot like Saltheart said, but unfortunately, it's unlikely that it'll last long. Most of the steelhead blanks are fairly thin walled.