Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KeysKid

Need some opinions

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

HappyWave.gif Im looking for an all around pluggin' stick for the Jersey Surf, 9 foot, wrapped convential. The heaviest plug I throw around here is just under 4oz. About 3.5oz. actually.

Bombers can also be mighty deadly at times, gotta throw these too.

Gotta walk to my spots so I can only bring one set up.

Heres what im thinking:

Rod= Arra 1084 (or similar??)

Reel= Abu 5500 size loaded with 30lb Tuff-line XP.

Going with the smaller sized Abu for ease in throwing the lighter plugs.

Whatd'ya think there fellas, Am I on the right track? Thanks.

That looks about right. I was going to suggest the MB1083, but 3 1/2 would push it. For Bombers, the 1083 is perfect, but for all around the 1084 should be good.

Rod is good. Reel is too small. You need the 6500 size.

I agree. I've never noticed any significant difference in casting a 5500 and a 6500. Even between a 4600 and a 6500.

However, if you can get at least 250 yards of that line on a 5500, you should be OK. I think the internals, (gears, drag etc) are identical on the 5500 and 6500.

Rod is good. Reel is too small. You need the 6500 size.

I agree. I've never noticed any significant difference in casting a 5500 and a 6500. Even between a 4600 and a 6500.

However, if you can get at least 250 yards of that line on a 5500, you should be OK. I think the internals, (gears, drag etc) are identical on the 5500 and 6500.

I was thinking that.

Ive got the reel on a few other setups and have an easy 250 yards on line on em'. And yeah, the internals are exactly the same. Ive landed Tarpon to 50lbs on the 5500 in heavy current so thats what got me thinking I could get away with the smaller reel in the surf. I'll probaly play around with both reels on that stick and see what happens. Thanks for the advice fellas icon14.gif

I've got the 1084 Arra and it is exactly what you want. It can cast a bomber and still really rip 3 1/2 ounces. Very lite and slender, loads fine with light stuff but has plenty of power when you want it.

Steve

josh, are you going for an off the shelf rod, or are you going to get it custom? if custom, go with a spiral wrap. i think you'll like it.

by the way, let me know when you want to get out kayaking. i got a nice hot tip last night. icon14.gif

Geez Josh, thanks for asking me! I would go with the 136 1MH cut back to a 20 tip. That will allow you to throw a bomber, and then turn around and throw 20 oz. jigs, LOL! How's the house coming? Let me know when you want to do that 1084, and I'll help you get the components together. I will be spiral wrapping a 7' GUSA in the next week or so, you can come check that out and see what you think. I agree with the guys above on both the blank and the bigger Abu.

Doyle, gotta go custom with this one, but, if they made a factory 1084 convential I'd own it by now biggrin.gif We just bought a house in Absecon and we'll... its kickin' my arse...but, I may have to put down the tools and sneak away for a couple hours. I'll drop ya an email bud. icon14.gif

Shawn, who'd ya think I was gonna ask to help me put it together cool.gif LOL! Im in no hurry to build it up though...got about a 9,000 gallons of paint to buy, a couple toilets, a tub...etc, etc.... Man, renting was easy!

I'd like to check out that GUSA when you get it going. I'll be talking to you soon.