Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LIStriper

ARA or GSB

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have searched this topic and have found much useful info. However, I did not find a comparison of these rods. Any advice will be appreciated.

Looking to build a rod to throw from 3/4 up to 2 3/4 oz. plugs. Which blank would you suggest?

ARA 1204 or ARA 1321

Also, how do these compare to the GSB 120 1L and GSB 132 1L blanks.

Thanks for your help.

------------------

LIStriper

I would chose the ARA 1204 as the best for the application mentioned. I have built many 1322 Arra's but never a 1321. The GSB 120 1L is a great all around rod. Not my choice at 3/4 but it will work and its very good at 2 1/2 for sure. I am not familiar with the GSB132 1L. The Arra 1204 is right on the money for the weight range mentioned.

Duh , I built them but didn't tell you about the 1322. I like it for a little heavier than 3/4 but its very good up to 4 OZ.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 04-22-2003).]

My 132 1L really doesn't throw less than 1 1/2oz very well.

The XRA 132-2 I wrapped for my Dad last year will toss 7/8 oz a mile.

gad

I have been using a GSB 132 1M down to 1 oz with no problem. Anything below that it is more of an issue of feeling the bucktail or lure more than casting.

I have no problem with the 11 foot lenght, and in some cases perfer the balance over a shorther rod. It most likely will come down to what blank I can find locally.

Thanks for the reply.

------------------

LIStriper

If you took a 1204 and put a 12" butt extension into it, you'd have a 1321. Both rods have about the same taper and the identical tip size---the difference is just a extra foot at the butt and a slightly different fulcrum that gives the 1321 an extra 1/2 oz at the top end of its casting range.

Some custom builders take a foot off the butt of a GSB 132 and sell it as a 120, in both the L and M powers, when they don't have the 10 footers in stock and the customer doesn't want to wait for a shipment. Most buyers will never know the difference unless they strip the rod and look at the label buried under the cork tape.

LI,

I personally like the XRAs over the GSBs, somewhat a personal preference thing though. The GSBs are a bit slower, a bit heavier, and a bit more robust. For that range, I like the 1321.