Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
plugger

production rod

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Lamiglas XS101MS is about as suitable a graphite rod for pencils as you can find. Get the one piece if you're gonna whip a pencil, 2 piece ones come apart too easily due to the back and forth whipping.

I don't know of any good fiberglass production rods.

Minimum retail, in accordance with Lami's policy, is about $40 more on the XS101MS than on the 10' Ben Doerr. On the Ben Doerr Elite series, however, the Lami is about the same amount cheaper. The regular BD is 2-piece only, the Elite is 1-piece only, while Lami gives you a choice.

Action-wise, the Lami is more parabolic. Bends almost to the first guide, whereas the St Croixs bend mostly in the top quarter. The Lami has a size 10-11 tip whereas the BDs have a size 7. Much slower taper as a rsult, more of the blank bends to give that "whip" you need for making a pencil popper work.

Trim wise, Lami uses 5 Fuji guides, with, I think, a 50 mm gathering guide. St Croix uses 4 Pac Bay guides with, I believe, a 40 mm gathering guide. Both use Fuji seats and a cork tape grip. Both use rather plain black wraps on the guides.

once again thanks for the come back.

the reason i ask is that i find my (sc-bd)lacking in this one task. other\\wise its rates just fine.

im not sure the lami is the majic bullet

the pencil pros (i just stare in awe)

use OLD HEAVY GLASS STUF .VERY WHIPY

BUT HEAVY, THEY ALL GOT ARMS LIKE ARNOLD