Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kmiller

Hey Al kinda lengthy but I hope you can help

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am looking for a new surf outfit for chunking and plugging. I am basically looking for something to carry along to Fort Tilden and Breezy. I am looking towards a Lami blank. I know that everybody has mention some good rods but they are all one piece; I am really looking into a 2-piece for transportation reason. If this would help I would like to match the chunking rod with a 525 Mag, so can somebody mention a reel to match to the plugging rod. One final question, do you know of any books and tips that would help with building the rod. I would like to atleast build the chunking rod myself. All your help is desperately appreciated. Thanks

KM,

I will start the ball rolling with two blank recommendations. Lami GSB1202M and the Lami CSB1202M. The CSB is a composite.

I am sure other SOL members will recommend other blanks to consider for this application.

As far as books and tips on rod building, the two books that I recommend are "Advanced Custom Rodbuilding" by Dale Clemens and the new book by Tom Kirkman "Basic Rod Building". For additional info please refer to my 4-part series of articles on Basic Rodbuilding in the Articles section on this site.

When you are ready to start the process, please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Al

Kmiller,

Between the two books Al mentioned and his article, you're good to go. Al's also great with answering all the questions you may have.

john

I can attest to the CSB 1202M. I hadn't owned a 2 piece rod in 20+ years but this baby is just about as"Sweet" as they come.The composite tip and Graphite butt combine for a superb casting and fish fighting tool.I'm just saving my $ so I can build another one so I have a"matched pair".

Good luck, Neil