Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AxBeetle

Fishbites are Awesome

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Stuff is like crack to drum species. This stuff is what gulp should be like. If Gulp worked for fluke like fishbites for spots, croakers and kings - no one would ever use real bait again. If porgies will eat this stuff, it'll always be in my bag.

I had to try them to see. Gulp is one thing. i use them. bait is better, but I'd say believe the hype on fishbites. If you don't mind catching fish that are under a pound.

My dad introduced me to the stuff 5 or 6 years ago. It's always in my bag.

Has anyone had luck with anything OTHER than the bloodworm? I tried some of the clam stuff and no bueno. Haven't really tried anything else. Now that I think of it, not even sure how much of a variety is even out there.

Funny you mention porgies - they LOVe the Gulp Chum. No BS, captain Gregg on the Ocean Eagle used to use it from time to time. Nothing to do with this post, just mentioning it because I didn't brelieve it until I saw it

I have to beg to differ regarding bloodworm fishbites. I only caught a couple of spot the last time I used them. No kings. When I switched over to gulp I caught kings. How do you hook the fishbites? And more importantly how do you take them off the hook after their used up and only the mesh is left behind?

Quote:

Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

I have to beg to differ regarding bloodworm fishbites. I only caught a couple of spot the last time I used them. No kings. When I switched over to gulp I caught kings. How do you hook the fishbites? And more importantly how do you take them off the hook after their used up and only the mesh is left behind?

I hook it like a worm.  That mesh is nasty - I usually use an old pair of kitchen shears to cut it off.

Are fishbites good for mackerel?

You fish the CCC, forget Fishbites, if you want Stripers use menhaden or eels. Pick some up before you go, forget looking for it at 1.00 am , be prepared.

You can get mackerel at oriental fish markets, check the yellow pages.

Thats funny. The only bait I never got a king on is gulp! Maybe they could be hitting the 4" gulps on 4/0 and 5/0 gamis, but not getting hooked? I doubt it, though because when I feel kings thump the bait, I drop down to a 2/0 gami to get the kings. As far as the mesh goes. It sucks. I carry a mini kids scissor to cut braid (learned that here on SOL) its a PITA, but you can get most of the mesh off that way. I was cutting them about an inch to an inch and a half long and threading it on small hooks (gold packaged baitholder porgie hooks) in two holes.

Using this stuff I caught croakers for the first time. Its possible the croakers were always there, but never ate my other baits?

For kings I use a small piece, cut 3 or 4 to the inch with a scissor then hook it once. Its amazing -----like earthworms on a trout stream. Kings remind me of small stream trout in that a nice one is a foot or so long . Downsize your tackle and they pull hard.

I believe, from my own experience that FishBites bloodworms do work for kingfish. I've caught many in the surf. But would I use FBs alone? Probably not.

FishBites do not work well in cool waters, and noticed the warmer the water, the more effective it gets. The explanation may be in how fast it wears off. In cold waters there is very little wear, even after 30 minutes. By August as the water temps rise and have reached around 70+ degrees you'll find that after only 10 minutes only the mesh is left. Quicker wear means more scent dispersed in the water.

I found using a combo of bait works best. I use FB and small piece of "dirty" squid from the box, not clean squid from markets, seems to make a difference. Clam combo is equally effective but I like the squid cause I can cut it up neatly to the size and shape I want and stays on the hook much better especially if you plan or need to jig it a bit. Of course, real blood worms are the undisputed king in kingfishing but really hard to drop $10-$12 for a bag.... for me anyway.

Sure, I could just use squid or clam alone and still catch them and still have a successful day, but by incorporating both my catch rate goes up considerably. I noticed a difference when my friend and I hit the surf last year I used a combo and he used just clams. He hated the mesh when it runs out, and for him, it's a bitch to take off. We both had the same hand-made hi-lo rig, jigging the same way and casting just a car length away from each other and I caught 3 or 4 for every 1 of his. I would not have know this if he wasn't there because I usually fish alone. I've used FB alone on many occasions and it definitely does not perform better than using real bloods, clam or squid alone, but you will catch them here and there. I would use it as a last resort if that's all I have in my bag o tricks.

As for Spots, I have landed a few but real sand or blood worms are ten times better. I did use sand worm and FB combo and the Spots couldn't get enough. No sense in using bloods and FB, thats just overkill, bloods alone can't be topped.

I've also noticed that fluke really hits a small nickel size offering of FB and squid or clam, very hard, so I always expect to land a few flukes while kingfishing in the surf.

FB' are a bit pricey and seen some places charge a a tad over $7 a bag but i can always find some for about $6 if you look hard enough. I do get at least 4 outings with it which isn't bad for something that improves your catch. I truly believe FB with a combination of another bait is better than any one bait alone except for blood worms. I would say FishBites are awesome, but to a degree.

Here's how I rate all baits for kings from my experience. Scale of 1-10, used alone.

Blood worms - 10 The King of Kings

Sand worms - 9 Just don't last as long as Bloods.

Squid - 8.5 As good as clams, holds to hook better, more uniform.

Clams - 8.5 Can't go wrong, everything eats clams.

Shrimp - 8.0 Southern Kings prefer more than Northern, more expensive too.

Cut fish - 7 Too soft to keep on hook, but works when its on.

FishBites - 7.5 No match for bait-stealers, can keep it in your back pocket, water temp a factor.

FishBites with Clam or Squid Combo - 9.5

No matter how you fish them, they're in the surf now. Get 'em while they're here..