Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

Extending a 1209 breakaway??

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I love my 10' 1209 for chunking 6-10 and bait (ok, truth is i don't like chunking 10 and bait with anything but sometimes you gotta )...

In my pursuit for a powerful lightweight heaver, i'm wondering about a 12-18" extension on the rod, creating a 11 - 11.5' one piece heaver...

thoughts??? anyone tried this?

actually you are correct.. the original 2/1 actually had a 10 ' tip section (the current 1209 blank) and the extension was below the reelseat on a normal 12'6" built length.. problem was the extension fell out of rod holders on peoples truck....

i'm only looking for a minor change to the existing rod.. maybe 12-18" as the rod needs to be rewrapped anyway...

Thumb,

I've extended a bunch of surf sticks. extending 12-18" is a piece of cake. for a stick of that caliber, I'd get a stand up stick with similar taper. You really only need about 6" of the extension to be inserted. You want as little "knock" as possible when it is inserted. Don't hammer i in either, just slide it in full of an epoxy like PC7.

I have been working with the development team at All-Star this spring. And we will be coming out with 2 new surf rods. Both rods will be 11' in length. The first one will be an 8 power and the second a 9 power. As with all R+D things change until the final design is compete, so I can't give out the specific dimensions just yet.

What I can tell you is that The 8 power is going to be tuned to cast large plugs. And cast them extremely well. The 9 power is going to be geared more toward bait fishing in the 6 to 8 oz plus bait range.

As things develop further I will keep you posted or if you have any questions drop me a PM or email regards Big Dave

Fishaddict

Yes they are 2 brand new blanks and I am very hopful that they will be ready by mid to late summer. These are blanks that I have had in mind for a long time. They will truly target the Northeast caster. I myself am really looking forward to the finished product.