Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Homerisadope

High roller lures

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Got bored, cruised Cabelas web site, came across these:

high_roller_lures.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with them? Care to comment?

**I removed the link and put up the picture for yah smile.gif TimS

[ 06-18-2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: TimS ]

I'm not sure that link's going to stick around for long, but here's a pic:

i117212hz01.jpg

From the website description:

High Roller Original

These custom wood lures are gel-coated for added durability. The bulky rear section promotes a highly erratic walk-the-dog action and enhanced aerodynamics for extra-long casting distances. Each has a handcrafted wood body with Gamakatsu hooks. Per each.

Sizes:

3-1/4", 2/5 oz.

4-1/4", 3/5 oz.

6-1/4", 1-2/5 oz.

As to the lures, High Roller contacted me a couple years back to stock their products. They sent me a couple to check out. They were very, very well made - but the ones I had were fresh water models, a striper would tear them up. I've never seen the 1 1/4oz model listed, looks like a needlefish sort of...I'd have to see one before recommending it as a surf fishing/striper lure. Would check the hooks and hardware, stripers will do much more damage than a big mouthed bass wink.gif So will saltwater smile.gif

They might be excellent, the little ones were wonderful...for fresh water smile.gif

TimS

I have one like the above and it is a pretty large lure with saltwater hooks. Its nice looking but my only concern is that the eye is attached to the body with wood and I'm not sure if it is wired through. If I find out it isnt, I will be afraid to use it.

i don't think that they are through wired,but i could be wrong.if they are,back the screw eyes out,and put a shot of thirty minute epoxy on the threads,or drip some in the screw hole.that'll give the screw eyes alot of extra holding power.

guzz

Bill, yer scarin' me

Seemed the right thing to do.

The lure itself is interesting. Seems to be somewhere between a needle and a pencil. If they swim well and are durable, the 6.25 inch, 1.25 ounce model might be interesting. If anything, with that size and weight, it might be a good teaser delivery system in the fall for people who have set-ups that max out around 2 oz.

Any of you plug builders know anything about this "gel-coated" thing they're talking about?

I'm guessing the gell coating is along the lines of what Rapala usings to coat their baits. I think guzz is right, they use screw eyes. Designed for freshwater use. Topwater bait, walk the dog.

Jigman

They use regular fiberglass gelcoat from what I seen...and it's not very durable...I bought a bunch to ogle last year and brand new in the package there was chips and dings in the clear gelcoat...it's very brittle. I don't think they're through wired either, but there's enough space age glues out there to redo the screw eyes properly..