Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JEEPSTER

No reel seat

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have a ? for everyone. I've been fishing with spinning rods for years and I am making the switch to conv. for jigging and eeling to gain more control. The thing is that I'm not exaclty sure where I'm gonna want the reel so I'm asking everyone have you used a conv. with no reel seat or is it a bad idea???

Thanks everyone

Mike Apter

novice at making sticksbiggrin.gif

Here's a thought - keep in mind I've never done this. If you are planning to build the rod with cork tape, you can build the rod without the seat. Then get a reel clamp and clamp the reel wherever you want it along the cork tape. If you find a spot you like, you can always add a small 1 inch piece of foam, make bushings for teh seat to stay on out of masking tape, and add another 1 inch piece of foamto the bottom side of the seat.

Or you can always use the clamp with the reel, and have the guides temporarily held on with surgical tubing or masking tape. Take it out fishing and tinker with reel placement.

Billy

Not a bad idea at all Mike; I did it for years on my older fiberglass conventionals and it works just fine. Over time, the clamps will take their toll on the cork tape, but by then it may be time for a grip re-wrap anyway. Reels which come with a factory accessory clamp are generally a much slicker setup than add-ons, and definitely something to consider although the factory clamp on the Abu 7000 series is a notorious grip grinder. A few turns of electrical tape in the reel clamp area can help extend the life of the cork tape for a bit.

I've never gone the no reel seat route on a graphite blank though. Way back, when I first started building on graphite blanks they were terribly expensive (for me, anyway) and I had serious misgivings about possibly crushing one of those pricey blanks with the reel clamp. By that time I'd pretty much settled in on reel positions which suited me, and the thinner graphite blanks made, for me at least, much less of a case for not installing a seat as the finished diameter, seat in place, was always plenty reasonable. On some of the old big bore glass surf blanks, saving any fraction of an inch you could manage on the grip area diameter was usually a very wise move.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 09-07-2001).]

What I was thinking of doing is wrap the butt with cork tape and then tapeing the reel to the rod no clamps maybe just metal rings to give it a little more security. I have small hands so the reel seat is kinda tough for me I'm finally getting getting around to wrapping my sabre 1088 to fish this fall.

Thanks alot guys

Mike Apter

Jeepster...I'll be around tonight for the outgoing with my 1088 if you want to take a few casts and see if you how you might want yours. I wrapped mine with a trigger seat and love it.

Actually, Jesse is meeting up with me around 4 am, if you want to join us. I'll be out from midnight on though if that is any more convenient.

Charlie

Jeepster,

Try using two stainless steel hose clamps. I got mine from Home Depot for $0.99 each. I picked up this tip a few years ago on the board and did it as a temporary solution and it works great. As a matter of fact, I'm still using it. Best of all, the screw for the worm gear on the back of the hose clamp gives you a place to hook your finger over. Almost like a trigger grip. You can place a wrap or two of electrical tape over the cork to protect it when tightening the clamps. Do not over tighten. The first time you tighten down, the clamps will have a tendency to back off the reel foot since they are not parrellel to the blank. After that, they stay in place while you tighten.

Also, try to get the smallest size possible. the less clamp sticking out the side of the worm gear, the better.

John E skunk.gif

Years ago I met Carl Newell at the Suffrin Show.... When he found the sweet spot where the reel should be attatched, this is what he did...

First he put on a layer of double sticky sided electricians tape over the cork tape wher the reel is to be attatched. Then he would slide on a piece of PVC pipe with a slit cut along it's length just a bit small for the diameter. Then he covered this piece of pipe with regular vinyl electrical tape. He would then clamp on the reel. This connection caught ol' Carl fish to 286 pounds! Its gotta work for you guys as well.

Whether using a conventional or spinning reel, taping on the reel with electrician's tape does not work well. The tape has too much stretch. I use electrician's tape to cover the cork or cork tape. I tape on the reel with fiber-reinforced packing tape, and then cover with electrician's tape. No clamps are needed. The reel will not loosen with use.

I like the fuji deluxe "trigger" real seat( not the cheap knockoff). Its a nice warm feel and if you snap a spring or other reel problems, you can easily change reels and keep fishing..You should be able to figure out where your reel placement feels good. It only cost a little extra ...worth it