Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

6 oz rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

ok guys... got the heaver decision almost made, i think.... Now that i've sold everything i had (except my favorite 1209 Breakaway) for casting over 5 oz, I need a heaver and a 6 oz rod... Stuff i sold was great but too heavy...

Think i'm going with the 1502 lami for a heaver...

maybe the 1442...

Now specifically for 6 and bait what's the recommendation..?? looking for 11-12 feet (i'll use the 1209 if 10' is needed)... want as lightweight as possible and distance is key...

so far thinking breakaway 1418, loomis 1448....

thoughts?? what lami fits this bill??

I had a guy ask me last night if a lamiglass GSB1142M would cast 5 ounces a country mile last night.

I have never handled a rod of this size, or fished a lure with that kind of weight. Any thoughts??

I was surprised to see somebody talking about the 1442 today after the call last night.

It is kind of a spendy blank, but being able to pick it up direct at Lamiglass saves some freight.

TB...I have several Lamiglas 1502 wrapped as custom Heavers-uncut and cut at the tip...I like the tip snipped and so I would recommend considering 3" or 4" off the top. RDT sells a good number of Heavers built on the 1502 and the standard for them is to cut the tip 3"... I had a 1442 until I snapped the tip at Cape Point one evening...accidently line wrapped the tip before a cast and POW!!! Got caught up in that lengendary Red Drum blitz at the Point in April 2001 and was not watching what I was doing!!!

The Breakaway 1418 although relatively light in weight is a little over-loaded when throwing for instances a 6 oz Hopkins...the sweet spot on that rod is about 4.5 oz to 5 oz. That rod is not a 6 oz plus bait stick IMHO.

The Loomis 1448 (and its knock-off the Tica) will hurl 6 oz plus bait quite well... I use the 1448 w/ a 6500 Ambassadeur...that combo for me is very light weight and really nicely balanced...a joy to cast!