Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gundalba

Rainshadow SU1266F Guides Question

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I am trying to put together a hybrid-surf/pier casting rod to use with Abu 6500 spooled with 30-50lb Spider Stealth.

I never built a rod before so have no idea how I am going to put it together but am buying the parts now. (As my mentor used to say, "Let's suck it and see..." is the approach I am taking now biggrin.gif )

SU1266F has rod butt dia. is 0.845", tip is 7.5 size for your reference.

First road block is the guide selection;

I saw some discussion on guides for Rainshadows on this board but nothing specific for the setup I am going for. Fuji NSG & Alconite guides seems to be often discussed here but not sure on number, size of guides nor spacing to use.

Second question is butt section;

I am planning to put together 3-4 pieces of ~5" straight corks to build about 18" length rear grip section and Fuji Palm Support Reel Seats plus another 5" front cork grip.

I see the reel seat is size 20 but no idea what that means in terms of dimension, also difference between standard and deluxe model. Since price difference is not much, going for deluxe is fine but am just curious. Fuji tackle web site seem to be all in Japanese which I don't read.

Any other help/advices I can get, I will be much appreciated.

Troy

This is what I use on that blank:

Fuji Alconite concepts BMNAG sizes 20-16-12-12-10-10 and a 10 tip( or 20-16-16-12-12-12 12 tip if you think 10's are too small for shock knots). I think a size 18 reel seat will fit better than the 20 but then again most of the ones i built had the seat about 22". I put the first guide up from the butt at the splice on the tip section and the first one from the tip at about 6 inches on center from the tip guide space out the remaining 4 guides accordingly.

I think the only difference in seats is the deluxe has a ring on the seat nut.

hope this helps, gary

Thanks to your help 8NBait, I think I am getting there the guides. HappyWave.gif

I think I will be using BMNAG+BMNAT(10-7.5, I guess 7.5 is the tip size on the blank?)

For the number of guides, I prefer 9+tip so am thinking (20-16-12-12-10-10-10-10-10) now.

Spacing is still sth. to tackle for me yet... cwm15.gif

Though, I am still confused on reel seat size. frown.gif

Since the butt section diameter on 1266 is 0.845"(~=21.5mm), shouldn't I use a seat with 22 size???

Of course, I am assuming that 22 size is the metric unit here... confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Could someone please set me strait on this reel seat size?

Though, I am still confused on reel seat size.

Since the butt section diameter on 1266 is 0.845"(~=21.5mm), shouldn't I use a seat with 22 size???

That would be correct if you where installing the reel seat at the end of the blank. Measure the diameter where you're going to install the reel seat on the blank and I'll bet you it's somewhat smaller smile.gif

I was thinking up to a good lenght from the butt, diameter would be somewhat consistant...

Then I guess its not a good idea to buy a reel seat before getting the blank in hand and actually measure the diameter at the location...

Thanks!!! HappyWave.gif

Im new to this, but mine turned out great..

BMNAG 25,20,16,12,10,10,.. 10,BMNAT top 6 1/2 ID on that... I think... A size 18 or 20 seat. 4" cork foregrip. and shrink tube on butt. Also turned first eye (on top half) backwards and can use it for a spinner, but havent tried it yet.

Thanks PM,

Great news to me as it sounds like I can use that 20 size only palm support guide. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

How far up is your reel seat from butt end?

I heard about dual purpose real setup but I don't own any spinning reel except for bait rod..

Though, I am curious about "turned first eye for spinning". How does that make the rod spinning compatible? confused.gifconfused.gif

Obiously, I need to learn a lot here.... redface.gif

I am planning to start with 20 size since I am focused on building one for Abu 6500 size reel and here is somewhat adjusted arrangements I am planning now;

BMNAG 20-16-16-4x12-10-10 plus BMNAT 10-7.5 tip.

Cheers!

I can use a spinner because guides are bigger than your planned setup, and was told line would not pile up in front of the first guide if turned backward? stick the but of the rod in your armpit,reach as far as you can and put the seat there. I think mine is 31"

The best way to find the butt length is to test cast it. Use the butt section with the reel seat slipped over and reel installed on the seat. Now just tape the seat on with masking tape and take a few practice "casts" with it. Adjust as needed, and when you find that sweet spot mark the blank with a scratch or masking tape. This initial step of placing reel seat later effects where the first guide goes.

Good luck! icon14.gif