Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Tips on Replacing Broken Guides

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

For all you guys who want to give it a try, here are some tips on replacing broken guides. This is boiled down from an article I recently wrote that will be in the next Rodcrafters Journal.

Removing the broken guide. Gently heat the finish on the wraps using a heat gun. Make sure to keep the gun moving back and forth over the wrap. The heat will soften the finish. Then take a single edge blade and carefully cut lengthwise along the top of the guide foot. Then peel away the overwrap.

Removing the underwrap. If the underwrap does not have finish on it just gently cut the thread. Find the leading edge and pull the thread off. If there is finish on the underwrap, then heat the finish gently with the heat gun and scrap the finish away until you can pull off the thread.

There will probably be some residual thread and finish on the outer edges of the wrap. Gently pop them off with your thumbnail.

Take masking tape and wrap around the blank to mark off the outer edges of the under wrap. Then take 600 grit paper and gently sand away any residual finish and clean the area with alcohol and a paper towel.

Peel away the masking tape and you can wrap on your new under wrap. Apply two coats of color sealant to your under wrap. Let it dry overnight. If you apply a coat of finish to the underwrap, I prefer to do that, let the finish cure 48 hours before wrapping on the guide.

Wrap on the guide. Check the guide alignment and then burnish the overwrap.

Apply your color sealant and finish. Let the guide rest for a week before using to allow the finish to completely cure.

That's it.

Al G.

Al,

Thanks for the great articles on finishing that you sent me via e-mail. I've printed and filed them in my how-to folder next to my wrapping table. And thanks too for the info on replacing damaged guides. While Clemens may have written the bible on custom rod building, having a resource over the web is even more useful IMO.

Thanks Mark. if anyone really wants to increase their knowledge of rod building please attend the upcoming Northest Regional Rodcrafters Seminar in January that I am hosting or the National seminar in Allentown, PA in March 2001.

These seminars are a goldmine of information with top rodbuilders in attendance from all over the country. These rodbuilders are my greatest resource of information since we constantly share information.

In addition, there is a flea market with tons of rod building stuff on sale at very low prices.

Al G.

Nice Website Al!! I have a couple of simple questions regarding this topic. I completed a matte finish rod where the epoxy ran off the guide wrap and onto the blank - a little more than I wanted it to. Will the epoxy (Crystal Coat) come off this blank as you described? Or will this brand of epoxy bond onto the matte finish?

Second: what exactly is a heat gun? Can I use a glue gun - sans glue? Or is there a specific type that I should look into?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you at the NorthEast seminar.

------------------

Thank you, Billy

Information on the National Rodcrafters seminar in Allentown, PA can be obtained from Clemens Tackle at www.clemenstackle.com.

Billy, any epoxy finish will adhere to a blank whether it has a matte or gloss finish. To clean away the spill over onto the blank, mask off the area on both sides with masking tape. Then gently heat the area with a heat gun used for paint stripping as described in my tips. Then gently scrape away the finish and clean off any residual finish with 600 grit paper. Clean the area with alcohol. Then remove the masking tape and apply another thin coat of finish. While the rod is turning, take a piece of paper towel moistened with alcohol and carefully bring it up along side the leading edge of the wrap to clean off any finish that runs over.

Al G.

KML,

The Northeast Regional Seminar is being held in Hartford, CT on January 13 and 14, 2001. It is centrally located and is a great facility for the seminar.

Let me know if you are interested in attending and i will send you the information.

Al G.