Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

Stress distribution test, how much is enough?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al,

Quick question on the stress distribution test. For positioning the guides, the basic procedure is to get the butt guide placed first based on test casting, and then to distribute the remaining guides on the blank based on a stress distribution test.

My question is how much stress to you put on a blank to determine whether or not the guides are too close or too far. I believe you use a weight system which I'm guessing would be based on the blank rating, but are there any general rules of thumb on how much to flex a blank to determine the correct stress distribution?

I'm laying out a Loomis 108-20 which has some pretty good lifting power if really want to test it.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Since it's a nine foot blank I assume it will be use primarily from the beach or jetty. In addition, you did not specify whether the rod is spinning or conventional. These factors need to be considered as far a the number of guides and spacing.

As far as stress distribution, just fill a cloth sack with 2-3lb of sinkers and try to pick it up off the floor with the line threaded throught the guides. You should have the drag set to just barely slip when you lift the bag of the floor.

Al

Al,

The rod will be built conventional, with a 16" rear cork grip (my preference) and the butt guide placed about 28" from the top of the reel seat. The seat is a Fuji 18 trigger. I will be using a Abu 6500CS Mag with the rod for jetty and beach work. I currently have 7 BNLG guides taped to the blank as follows: 20, 16, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10.

The bag with 2-3 lbs. of weights sounds good. I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Mark

Mark,

I would change the guides to BHNLG's woth the heavier frame and ring. In addition, I would replace one of the #10 guides with a #12.

Also, make sure that the tip top rind diameter matches the diameter of the smallest guide.

Al

I'll replace one of the 10's with a 12.

I tried the 2.5 bag of weights stress test last night. When I lifted the bag off the ground, I had about a 1/8" space between the line and the blank between both the 5&6th guides and the 6&7th guides. Do I need to move the guides closer or is an 1/8" enough room between the line and blank?

Thanks, Mark