Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vinnyb

Best all-around plugging blank......

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

for use on south shore LI beaches & "M"? I have an XS10MS, but I'm looking for a 1-piece (spin). What's the verdict? XRA 1204? Or should I go to 11' w/ something like an XRA 1321? Any other manufacturers just as good for less $?

Let's hear it plug-guys and thanks in advance for your insight.

vin,

Fishing those same areas, the 1321 has been my go-to for the last four years, followed closely by a 1322. If you spend a lot of time swimming and boucing between rocks, you might consider a gsb instead of an xra

I tried a Pac Bay 1207, 1208, Lami 120 1m, and 1321L before I settled on the 120 1L Lami. It is 10', one piece and is a real sweety. With that said, there are days/conditions when I would like to step up a notch to something like a 1322 Arra. 95% of the time however I couldn't be happier with the 120 1L.

Alex

If youre looking for one rod, that can do EVERYTHING well.. it is the lami 120 1L. you can throw .5 oz bucks, Darters, tins, bombers, pencil poppers, everything up to 3 oz's..

It does everything very well. maybe not the best at all the categories above but still, its able to do all of them. you can fish the back bays throwing small tins, lead heads, and 5 inch red fins and at the same time you can throw 3 oz bucks off the jetty at moriches. it has plently of ball$ to haul in a big fish yet isnt too stout to enjoy catching smaller fish. plus the price is right...

BC

Thanks guys. My XS10MS is built on the 120 2L blank - no? So if I went with the 120 1L, I'd be getting the same basic action, I guess. I really have no problem with my XS10MS (aside from it being a 2-piece), except that I feel it doesn't load up very well with the lighter stuff. That's why I was thinking that maybe the XRA 1204 or 1321 may be a bit better for my applications. The bulk of what I'm throwing is in the 1-2 oz range & occasionally 2.5 oz.

Just my .02 cents..

The 2 piece lami is a different animal than the one piece on that 10 foot blank. Check them both out in the tackle shop side by side, you'll notice the difference. I have never cast a 1321 Arra, I think I am missing out redface.gif

The 1204 Arra is what you want wink.gif It's one of the less expensive rods in the Arra line. Some places sell it for $15-$20 more than the 120 1L blank.

I have a 1321.that I love an do not want to break so over the winter I built a 1321L I used it a few times here in nj. 2nd day of fishin in M i folded it in half punchin a 2.5 oz needle fish into the wind.the rod was nice would cast a 1 oz. bucktail a mile but is not made for really layin into some of the heavier stuff.so as I look for a replacement I see the vast difference in actions on the 1321M rods I still haven't found one light enough yet. I have seen some older ones rapped that where perfect but the owners would not part with em will the 1332 arra hold up to the punishment on castin 2-3 oz on a regular basis how is it on 1.5 buctails an workin 3 oz.pencil sharpners.Some one told me the higher grafite content of the arra makes it more susceptible to breakage What if I take a 1321L an take a inch or so off the tip.I think that just lowers the low end but doesn't add to the high end of lure weights u can throw right.just thinkin if I can get the rod to flex alittle more down the shaft I might be alright.I seen a 1321m at Johnny's for 310 $ that wasn't too bad anyone have any imput on how his stuff is I got a 10' glass rod from him a few yrs ago that I think is splined wrong an I hate it.Very sloppy action. I hate haven to wait on a rod to cast it an I folds over on the hooksets. HELP. I Aint goin to M to trash my arra an I don't have a rod to use I have a XS120 1 thats a beast guess I'll figure somethin out.I wish they made the allstar or rainshadow in one pice 11 ft.like a 1208 type action.

I have the 1201M and the Arra 1322 and find that I actually prefer the 1201M. It's a sweet rod for a bit more weight (3 oz. and up)than the 1201L (which I do not have), can range all the way up to 8 oz. - almost a heaver, is light and pleasant to cast, and tosses a rig a long way for a 10' rod. I find that I can cast the 1201M hard or soft; the 1322 seems not to like a hard cast and prefers a smoother, graceful casting motion. Just my experience.