Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GEE

Flexcoat Problem

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I am trying to finish my third rod. I have a surf rod that I put a beautiful fish wrap on the base wrap. The wrap turned out great, striped fish (silver, white and aqua) in a white diamond w/silver trim in a navy field. Looks awesome. In finishing I have come into problems. I had tacky finishes, milky finishes, and silcone problems. I got most things straightened out but the base wrap has bubbles in (I think I covered all possible problems with finishing this rod, yes?). The bubbles look deep. They are not too bad but bad enough I would like to fix. If there is a risk I could damage the thread work I will just leave it. I have read that I can sand them down but these look deep. How much sanding can you do? Is it worth the risk to try and take them out, I am really proud of the thread work and it would kill me to mess that up. I think I would rather live with it for now than re-wrap.

THANKS

Guy

Guy,

It is difficult without first seeing the wraps. If the bubbles are deep then you may have to strip and rewrap. However, here is what I recommend.

Let the rod rest for several days to allow the finish to fully cure.

Use 600 grit paper gently sand the entire butt wrap working slowly to break the surface of the bubbles and smooth out the surface. Do not apply alot of pressure or you will sand through the finish and cut into the threads.

Sand with dry paper first, clean off with iso alcohol and a lintfree cloth. Then repeat using the paper wetted with alcohol then clean off.

Clean the area several times, then tack off the area with masking tape to remove any remaining residue.

Apply a coat of finish and while it is turning wick off any excess finish from the wrap. Squeeze out your brush and use the dry brush to wick off the finish. Let it turn overnight.

Repeat with another coat of thin finish and let it dry overnight. Check the next day for anymore bubbles or flaws. If you still have some on the surface then wait two days and repeat the process.

If there are no more bubbles then do a final wet sanding and apply a final full coat of finish. Gently flame out the finish with an alcohol lamp and let it turn overnight.

Please let me know how you make out.

Al

Al,

I finished up last night and am very happy with the results. I got rid of most of the bubbles and this is perfectly acceptable for my third rod. The way you explained it worked great. I am trying to get a digital camera to send you a picture. I only needed the 2 coats after I stripped it down. I scraped it down until I saw thread and then stopped. I then sanded it and cleaned it several times. The first thin coat looked good so I went right over with the finish coat. I might try it out this weekend. Thanks for your help, not just with this post but for all the help I get while running searches in your forum.

Guy