Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fabe76

Rainshadow jetty blank

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Could somebody maybe Big Country recomend a 9'or 10'Rainshadow blank that would be suitable for fishing primarily the Breezy Point Jetty .It's for a friend I currently have a Batson 1087 that He was impressed with especialy the price.But feels it may be too light for a Jetty stick.Any sugestions would be apreciated.Thanks

Batson makes a 1089 if you really want a .50 calibre gun.

Depends on what you're throwing. The 1088 is enough for most plugs and live eels. If you're going to throw monster plugs, heavy bucktails and rigged eels, the 1089 may be more to your liking. You may find it too stiff for plugs under 2 oz, and if you use it for live eels, you may find the eel flying off in one direction and the hook in the water at your feet.

My Sabre 1088 is very similar to the Batson. I've used it from the Moriches jetty and find that it handles fish with authority. I've thrown 6" Bombers with a Calcutta 400 without too many problems along the backside of Jones. I took about 3/4" from the tip.

Your choice of a jetty rod will be determined primarily by the amount of current that is running by the jetty. if its at an inlet or if there is a strong flow around the tip do to wind and /or tide , you need a stout rod.

Here in RI , we have jetties at several of the outlets from the salt ponds. There the 1089 is a better choice than the 1088 batson/sabre type rods.

The best all around 9 foot jetty rod I've seen is an allstar 1088. Its stiffer than the Batson type 1088.

One additional consideration is the size of fish you paln on getting. My gear for both beach and jetty applications is a little heavier than some would like. that's because its sized for the fish 30 lb and over. It does put me at a disadvantage when I catch the plentiful small stuff say to 10 pounds buit it sure helps when I get the occasional big one. I guess you have to decide where your priorities are. i'd rather lose 50 samll fish cause the rod is too stiff than lose one big one cause its too wimpy.