Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterk

old bamboo surf rod

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

A friend showed me a beautiful surf rod made of bamboo. The finish on it is still unbelievable. The rod is called a Montague and there are guides on two sides of it. The tip top has a screw so it can be rotated. I am guessing that the length is ten feet. Where could I find out about this rod? It must be fifty or sixty years old.

A former tenant of my grandfather's pasted away back in the mid 70s and he left behind some old gear. There were a couple of Montagues and another unknowm bamboo blank (2 pc casting rod). None of it was usuable as it.

I built up a boat cod rod out of a Montague bamboo blank back in the late 70s from an old rod that had the agate guides on it. I fished it for a few seasons and broke the rod trying to yank a snag free. frown.gif It turned out the rod was very dry inside - being a teen at the time didn't help in the situation - ie lack of patience and know it all attitude....lol).

I built up a four section fly rod as well out of a Montague fly blank I had gotten from the same sourse (~6wt - slow action) and I have it in the basement some where. I haven't fished it in over a decade easy.

Last time I checked there wasn't much, or any collector value to the Montague bamboo rods since they were so plentiful and inexpensive. May be some one could shed light on that for me.

This was from back in the mid 70s of course. wink.gif

Montegue was a factory produced rod relatively inexpensive and readily available in the 40's and 50's. The purpose of the dual guides was to keep the rod from forming permanent curve one way or the other, fish one time with this set, next time with that set. I haven't seen many that weren't curved in atleast one place. Reel seat and winding check were chrome plated brass and the trade mark mushroom butt cap with the company name on it. Nice little rods for a display and are very pretty if in original good condition or redone with the original guides.

If you really want to see someting pretty, look for an Ole Calcutta heaver with the hand wrapped braided cord grips.