Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnS

Looking for a 8'6 2pc. rod that throws 3/4oz. -2 1/2 oz.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

John,

Check out the Loomis Salmon/Steelhead series and the Lami Arra XRA1022 spinning.

The Loomis salmon rods may not be available locally but I am pretty sure you can order them through Cabelas at www.cabelas.com

They are both sweet casting rods. I first built one for BrianBM several years ago, who loves his. Then I had built one of each for myself as show rods last winter, since I personally do not use 2-piece rods. They both didn't get through the first show without being sold.

Al G.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 10-20-2000).]

Al, Thank You for providing the website.

It looks like the Lami Arra XRA1022 spinning is pretty much along the lines of what I am looking for.

Only reason I am leaning toward a 2 pc. is so it fits in the bed of my pickup truck.

Also I am inbetween places now so a 9ft. rod is kind of tough for me to negotiate.

But I would prefer a 1 piece but don't think it's good for me now.

I am going to check out loomis shortly and see if I can squeak a 9footer in the bed!

Thanks again,

JohnS

Yes. The rod in question is 8'. Mine was made for small conventional or baitcasting use, has a trigger seat - can't see a conventional casting rod without one, they add a lot of grip security and stability - and is currently wearing a Calcutta 400. Sweet spot is about 2 oz., range is 1 - 3, I prefer it at the low end of the spectrum with plugs. You can go down below an ounce with a jig, but you're living dangerously. Spinning, of course, would be safer. It'll be at the Fling if you're curious.

Hi Al,

I'm new to surf and striper fishing and have been using a an old salmon rod so far but want something a lot lighter that will throw light lures further.

I'm thinking of buying a rod for poppers and Jigs (3/4 to 3 oz say). I already have a spinning reel - Quantum BRC60 that I use 15 - 20Lb line on and assume it would be OK.

What do you think of the St Croix Ben Doerr rods? - I saw a 2-piece one for about $160 and think it was about 8 1/2 feet.

But they seem to break alot? - see thread looking for St Croix address in main forum - and you didn't include it in recommendation above?

Thanks for any insights,

Mark

Mark,

The St Croix Ben Doerr series of rods are okay for the price for most people. However, for the dedicated surf rat they just do not stand up to the rigors of serious surf fishing.

If you took a pole on this website of 100 truly dedicated surf casters you probably would determine that either Lamiglas, Allstar and Sabre are the blanks of choice.

Al G.

I have been using a Cabelas fish eagle II steelhead rod for 1/4oz to 1 3/4oz lures. I love it. It's 10', but they have shorter models. It's rated 1/2 to 2oz's, but I can fling a 6" Slugo rigged with only a 3/0 hook (no jig head)a good distance. I can cast a 1 1/2 spoon a mile. The nice thing is that I can feel a bite from a 10" pollack, yet had no problem with two fat 30"+ stripers.

PS You can send it back after 60 days if you don't like it. (no I don't work for Cabelas, but I love their web site)

I went to the nearest dealer and he didn't have a rod that I was going to check out on hand. I don't want to order a rod w/out feeling it in my hand first. The Ben Dorr Elite series rod in the 10ft. range was a nice rod and had a life time warranty. It was quite light. Forget if it was a 1 or 2 pc. Do Lami's, Loomis and other quality manufactures have life time warranty's??

JohnS

[This message has been edited by JohnS (edited 10-25-2000).]

Hi Al,All Lamiglas rod blanks have a Limited Lifetime Warranty from year 2000, are warranted against defects in material and workmanship for a lifetime of the original purchaser.If your blank fails, please send it in a disposable container,prepaid and insured,with date proof of purchase to Lamiglas Inc. For more info on the Lamiglas Lifetime Warranty contact www.lamiglas.com