Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L-Dog

Guide removal

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a rod that need the guides replaced and I am trying to save a few dollars on the guide removal fees before I have a professional install new guides. I have searched the forums for information on guide removal but did not find anything helpful. Can someone give me information on how to remove the guides.

...found some info on another site but will listen to other opinions.

thanks

Use a hairdryer to heat up the epoxy. Use a small single edged razor blade and ride the guide foot to cut through the epoxy. Peel it off with your hands. If you need to cut additional threads, do so very carefully. You don't want to scratch the blank especially if you plan on changing the guide placement. Once all the thread and epoxy is off, you may find some remnant epoxy left. Use a non-abrasive scoth brite pad and the hairdryer to heat it up and work it off.

A 40.gif cetone can cut through epoxie well enough to penatrate through the wrappings but don't get it on the blank because it can damage the bland also!

Acetone can cut through epoxie well enough to penatrate through the wrappings but don't get it on the blank because it can damage the bland also!

No need to use any solvents to get the epoxy off, especially the highly dangerous acetone. As SMT said, heat with a hair dryer. Rather than a fragile razor blade I use a #11 XACTO blade in a holder to cut down on top of the guide foot. Put a few bands of masking tape at the ends of the wraps so you don't get into the blank when scraping off the leftover epoxy and threads.