Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JustinF

tip over butt joints. How far is far enough?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I wrapped the tip section joint of my new Conoflex Baracuda tonight, very loosely, and now it seems to me that the tip section doesn't fit far enough down on the butt section. I am a little leary of glassing this thing and having the joint explode on my first cast...Let me know if you have any info. How far is far enough?Thanks!

Justin

Hi Justin,

Did you have the 2 pieces joined together when you wrapped the ferrule?

I install the 2 pieces and them wrap the ferrule being careful not to wrap tight.

Capt Neil

Justin, conoflex joints never come completely together. Their made that way, so over the years the joint will remain nice and tight and not get sloppy. Give Frosty a call or drop him an email, he can tell you exactly how much of an overlap was specked for that blank.

And remember to give us a nice user report on the rod when your done with it. I'm VERY interested in that blank myself. Sounds like a sweet 3-4oz plugging blank.

Thanks for the info Fishaddict. It think I am just being too paranoid...It is my first build and I really think the rod will be a great addition to my arsenal. The rod casts very well. It loads all the way to the butt cap. I threw a Baracuda that was built w/ Lowriders and set up for spinning so I don't think the feel/distance are a good indicator but it still felt great. I will definitely post a report and a pic.

Justin

If iy isn't in there correctly , the load will be concentrated on the outside of the femal part , just where you don't want. I would cut off the ferrul wrap. Insert the tip all the way and put a little dot there. then while still inserted , wrap the ferrul. You should not wrap so hard that you can't get them apart. When finished , pull the two pieces apart and see if they go back together to the dot.