Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCVER

Loomis IMX question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

This is the 1st time I've posted on this forum. I have a question- I just got the Cabella's tacklecraft catalogue and they have Loomis IMX fly blanks,a 9 wt. 3 pc costs about $160, as a kit complete with handle, reel seat, guides, etc. it costs about $10 more. I know that this discontinued model of Loomis rods has a strong following, and being a Loomis fan myself, I wonder if you have any input about these blanks, re price, whether to get the kit or just the blank, etc. I have a GLX 8 wt. which I think is the greatest.I have built a few rods and am looking to get into a winter project. Any input would be appreciated.

DCVR,

G Loomis recently restructured their blank offerings. The IMX fly blanks are back by popular demand. The kit deal usually provides lesser quality materials than you would choose ala carte.

If the kit is only $10.00 more, I would buy the kit. If you only use one component out of them all, it would be smarter to buy the kit. Any components you don't like could come in handy for emergency repairs or repairs and/or use on other rods.

I own several IMX and GLX rods. There is a difference. My 8wt. GLX seems to cast 10 - 12 ft. farther than the IMX, given the same effort. (GLX blanks are thinner and therefore have less air resistance than IMX). If that is important to you, you might want to put the money toward the more expensive rod.