Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Madeira Thread

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

just finished a rod using Madeira metallic thread. Stuff is nice. Makes a beautiful underwrap cause its thinner than Gudebrod A.

I didn't have any problem with the finish. I used UD 40 LS Supreme. Some have said they had a problem , that's why I mentioned it. results were nice and smooth as expected.

I got a few colors already and plan on getting a spool of all the popular colors. can't use for overwraps but for crosswraps and underwraps the stuff is very nice to work with. There purple , red and cobalt blue are very vivid and there are several gold tones to choose from.

Mike,

I have been using it for almost 15 years. Great thread. However, you need to apply two coats of color sealant and a very thin initial coat of finish.

The thread is coated with a lubricant since it is used on computerized monogramming machines. If you do not color seal you could get fisheyes.

Al

Salt - I had the same experiance as you...sometimes. Perfect finish with no CP needed. Then all of a sudden, I would get beyond fisheyes - the epoxy wouldn't adhere to a good portion of the thread, and it would be a big lumpy mess.

Salt - I was hardheaded and didn't listen to Al on this one, and as it turned out he was 1000% right. I figured since it was OK the first couple of times, I must be doing something different than Al. I learned the hard way - the way I like to learn, aparantly.

Guess I got lucky. About time! smile.gif I hate color preserver cause of how it effects the black thread. Not really black after color preserver. I guess I'll have to use it if I want to use the Madeira.

Salt,

Use Gudebrod 811 CP cut 50% with denatured alcohol. It will not have any effect on black thread. Give it two coats and wait 24 hours before applying finish. First two coats of finish should be a very thin coat, just tacky. This will eliminate any bubbles from forming on the final coat.

Al