Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bunkerhead

Lami Blank Question for 8nHead

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Ive wrapped a few rods and am partial to lamiglas blanks. I have and older fiberglass 11'6" lami that Im using as an 8nbait rod now but it struggles some w/ a head. I went ahead and made a real "hatteras heaver" to go bigger, but I hate it unless its the worst of the worst conditions.

The heaver is the 1361MH blank thats rated 6-16 and has a 20 tip. I also own the 1201M blank and love it for 6oz and under. The 1201M has an 11 tip I believe. Ideally I want a 11.5'-12.0', one piece, thats rated 6-14 with a 14 tip. But it dont exist.

I guess the 1502 is the closest but its a 2 piece. I prefer and only use 1 piece so my question is.......has anyone ever chopped down the 1801M to say 12'. I hate to cut and waste 3' of rod but I think thats the closest to what Im looking for. If anyone can reccomend another lami please do so and other manufacturers blank recomendations are welcomed.

the 1502 is my go to heaver for 8-10 and bait...

i've had about everything at some point..

it's perfect for me..

why would a two piece be an issue at all for a rod for chunking bait? cwm13.gif

Bunker... you can cut that 3 ft and make a nice gaff out of it...that 136 1MH, isnt really heavy tho... its perfect for 8 and 10 oz... IMO...

what about a rainshadow SU 1209 (graphite). Only ten feet, but its rated right where you wanted!!

BC

...that 136 1MH, isnt really heavy tho... its perfect for 8 and 10 oz... IMO...

BC

I wrapped the same blank BC mentions for my brother for slinging baits and he cannot believe how great the blank handles (he has the 2-piece model). I took about 6" off the butt and the rod can definately cast a country mile!

P.S. Thanks again BC!!!! HappyWave.gifbiggrin.gif

I wrapped the same blank BC mentions for my brother for slinging baits and he cannot believe how great the blank handles (he has the 2-piece model). I took about 6" off the butt and the rod can definately cast a country mile!

P.S. Thanks again BC!!!! HappyWave.gifbiggrin.gif

My problem with that blank is that it doesnt bend, at all. No load what so ever. I hope I got the model # right, I know its the one w/ a 20/64ths tip. (5/16"). Its a beast.

Granted it has its place. Last week when it was blowing 35mph out of the NE it performed fine but its not a rod I can use all the time. It seems to throw a 6oz and chunk the same distance it throws a 10oz and head. Maybe 50-70 yds tops. Not terrible, and that distance in a kickin NE is plenty, but there are lesser conditions and certain places where I want to put the hammer down and go further. BTW its paired w/ a 7500 ABU Blue Yonder and 20lb green ande tournament.

I get down to the OBX 2x per year and the regulars down there can absolutley launch an 8 and modified head (bottom lip removed). Amazing to watch to be honest. I want a rod that will load some w/ an 8 and a head. The 1502 seems perfect except for the fact its 2 piece.

TB:

I guess its just my personal preference, I dislike 2 pieces. The only ones I own are my lender rods for when buds beg to go out w/ me. My truck is set up to carry 1 piece and they perform better in terms of casting and fighting a fish IMO. 2 piecers seem to have a weak spot in the center of the blank, to me anyway, and you always run the risk of the top flying off. Majorly sux when its a really expensive rod. Seen it happen more than once and had it happen to me. Nothing like only having the bottom if the line breaks also.

BC-

I guess the length doesnt really matter so I"ll check out that blank. But if I drop back to 10' I mights as well go w/ the gsb122mh?? The 10' 2" mini heaver as I like to call it.

I throw 2 piece rods all the time and aint never had one come apart or had a problem fightin a big fish(these Drum down here would hurt you Striper yankswink.gif) The Lamiglas 150-2 is an awesome rod, and its held up to Drum up to 50" and countless 2-ton rays and big sharks.

Having said that, the Rainshadow 1509 would be worth a look, its 12'6" and in a 2p/1p configuration, but it fishes like a one piece. Just a thought.

Adam