Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisheb00

Blank Inspection

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Mr. Goldberg

Do you know of a place where people can go to look at a whole bunch of different types of Saltwater blanks. Or do you know of a shop that has a large variety of quality saltwater rods. I know what feels good to me and would like to get my hands on them before I purchase them. This year I got a sabre 1088 caster for the large stuff and like it alot. The rod throws chuggers, big jigs and eels great. I would like to look at a Saber 1087 caster to see if it will fit the bill for the smaller 1-2 oz plugs. I also need a good pencil Popper spinning rod that has an active tip section. Any input would be greatly appriciated, Bruce.

fisheb00,

There is an earlier thread on "Ceiling Pokers" asking the same question. As a custom rod builder I get to see lots of different blanks over the course of a year. However, for non rod building fishermen the challenge is finding a place that has a wide selection of rods or blanks to look over.

Not knowing where you live, I am unable to make a recommendation. However, one suggestion is to attend as many consumer takle shows over the winter as possible. There are manufacturers booths with the latest rods and reels, and blank manufacturers with their latest line of blanks. Other then that, my advice would be to find a local tackle shop with a reputable reputation for building rods and check out the blanks they carry.

This board and the Main Forum is an excellent resource to ask you question. When someone asks me to build a rod for them I need answers to a series of questions.

The first is a series of questions on the rod specs, like lure weight, line weight, spin or conventional, glass or graphite, length, etc.

The second question is the maximum amout they are willing to spend.

I am a firm believer in function over form. Meaning, the best performing rod for the dollar and forget about the fancy threadwork.

Since the blank is the heart and soul of any rod, that consumes the greatest portion of the price. Next are the guides and finally the grips. Notice, that I said nothing about threadwork.

Al G.

Thanks for taking the time to reply...I agree with you 100 % and as a novice rod builder my finished product is not all that fancy but very functional. I will get better over time and then I will really cry when I snap the tip off a rod I put 50 hours into making. Ps: thanks for the trade show idea.

Another possibilty for checking blanks - often overlooked - is to simply check out finished factory rods. Al and others can probably help a little with this one, but, in general, as far as the better quality lines are concerned...

Breakaway: all factory rods are available as blanks (and vice-versa)

Lamiglas: all factory rods are available as blanks, although there are a very good number of blanks not available as factory rods.

Loomis: all factory rods (far as I know) are currently available as blanks. Loomis has announced that they will not print a blank catalog this year, so I'm a little up in the air about what is - or soon will be - available in their blank program.

St. Croix: most all factory rods have, in the past, been available as blanks, and, I'm fairly sure, vice-versa.

I'm no expert in this area, but IMO the Sabre 1087 is better suited to spinning applications, 2 ounces and under. For pencil poppers, IMO glass is the way to go. Even a fairly soft graphite blank, like the Lamiglas GSM 1L blanks, wears your forearms out too much when whipping them to impart the correct action to a pencil popper. What you really need is a rod with a soft, parabloic bend thru the top half, rather than one with a rapid taper, ie, soft tip that flexes in the top 1/4 of the blank with a stiff butt section. The black Lami graphites do the job, but at a cost to your muscles. The glass M-power blanks do the job a lot better. The 2M and 3M S-glass models are great rods for this application, but are slightly more expensive than the yellow, white and black E-glass blanks. More surf rods have probably been built on the yellow Lami SB 136 3M blank than any other. If you fish big water and want a glass rod that will really "boss" a fish, you might even consider going up to the heavier 136 4M and chop some length--and weight--from the butt.

Thanks Ditch, I have a sabre 1088 caster and its a war club. I landed a 75lb sting ray of some sort from the beach during the summer. I will build a spinner on this blank over the winter. I have not seen a Saber 1087 or the Lami blank yet and would like to look at them before I order. Do you have any idea where I can find a finished rod or the blanks so I can look at them. I live in Philly and can travel to just about any where in Ny, Nj, De. I live near Dale Clemens shop but they dont have the selection I am looking for. It would be nice to find a shop that has Sabre, St Croix, Lami rods and blanks. I am going to give some thought to Lami glass blank for the Pencil Poppers. Thnaks again, Bruce

Al, Ditch and other good people. After reading some of the other posts I called Chris up at Fishin Finattics in Edison(1-800 673-3474) and found what I was looking for. Thanks for all of your help. Al I hope you continue your great forum. I seems I dont have enough time to read every artice but the ones I have read are excellant. Thanks again Bruce fisher.

Bruce,

I am just getting warmed up and I am having a great time meeting new friends. I expect this forum will really start heating up over the next few months.

The next few months will be very busy for me with shows and rod building seminars to prepare for. My 2001 order book is rapidly filling up and with the demands of a new job my time will be limited to devote fishing and rodbuilding next year. What a bummer!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Al G.