Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PASurfer

CSB1142M

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Al... thanks for your reply on the Main Forum regarding my query on the tri-wall rods. I thought, for discussion's sake, I'd post a couple of questions for you over here.

I'm not a rod builder, so I'd be looking to either have Lamiglas put it together "right", or maybe find someone in the Belmar, NJ area to do it (since I usually fish in the SFZ, I could pick it up easily).

I want to put the Mitchell Nautil 6500 GV (16.3 oz.) spinning reel on it, loaded with 30 lb. Whiplash. Most of the lures and tins I'd be throwing are in the 1 - 3 oz. range, while doing your basic "walk the beach" fishing.

I'd like to know which SiC guide series you'd recommend, the number of guides, and what the approximate spacings should be.

The butt could be wrapped whichever way balances best, either EVA foam, cork or tape. I'm really more concerned with the guide quality... I think Lamiglas sends them out with hardaloys, but I don't know if they'd be reseptive to a "special build" request to change out the guides for me. Maybe if ToddV reads this, he could let me know. wink.gif

Wish you weren't so busy; I'd love to own a stick built by you. As always, Al, thanks for your assistance.

Ron

PA, that's a whole lotta rod for walkin' the beaches of the SFZ cwm24.gif It would probably make a killer jetty rod, no doubt you could swing short stripers right up to ya with it...that's a huge plus when fishing the jetties! Lamiglas makes a dozen blanks better suited for walking the beaches of the SFZ than the CSB1142M...particularly the GSB108 1L or GSB102 1L or a handful of salmon/steelhead rods. For walking the SFZ, you pretty much need to be able to throw plugs down to 1/2oz and you need to be able to do it with little effort. I can count the number of times on one hand that I've actually had a 2 or 3oz lure on in the SFZ! General artillery at the SFZ is 3/8oz Yozuri's (light end) to the 1 1/3oz 7" MegaBait (high end). You might run into a handful of times a year when a 2oz bottle or darter might be useful - the the GSB102 1L or GSB108 1L will both throw and fish those 2 to 2 1/2oz lures very well - but those blanks won't hinder your throwing 5/8oz Mambo's or 7/8 4 1/2" MegaBaits or 7/8oz Bombers. Those are the important lures in the SFZ.

Just some input from a guy who grew up throwin' stuff in the SFZ smile.gif

TimS

TimS... maybe that's the problem smile.gif I'm throwing large, looking for large, and in the process scaring all your fish away. wink.gif

I hear you about the importance of the smaller stuff. I've got a couple 7-footers I usually throw the lighter stuff on, I just haven't been really pleased with the low-end 8 and 9 footers I own, and I'm trying to find their replacement... something that fits in the middle, between the light stuff but before I start driving a sand spike and hanging meat on a hook.

Al and I are talking -- he's away having a shot at Montauk 'til Sunday -- and I'm certain we'll settle on something useful. He's gonna load test the CSB1142M when he gets back, and let me know what he thinks.

Another thought driving me is that I want this rod to be "enough" for road trips away from the SFZ. I'm not a rock hopper, by preference, but I don't want to be unable to fish somewhere's just because I couldn't land a fish without going for a swim.

You know, the more I rant (sorry), the more I realize you've got me thinking again. I'll talk with Al... then make a decision. Thanks...

Ron

Ron,

I checked out the CSB1142M and it's a beast. From the way it feels I would guess it has a "sweet spot" of 2-3 ounces. I don't think 1 ounce could sufficiently load it.

Another option would be the Arra XRA1204-2. Let's talk this week.

Al

Al, whew! Ya restored all my faith in yer rod wigglin' abilities again wink.gif The number I settled on for the 9 1/2 footer were 1 1/2-4 or even 5oz. Just couldn't see any way it would comfortably load with 5/8oz.

Ron, look at the GSB108 1L and, even better, the GSB120 1L - ya can cut the 120 1L to be 9 1/2' from the butt and never even notice smile.gif

TimS