Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

Tacky epoxy question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I put what I thought or better put, was hoping was my final coat of flex coat light on a rod this AM. I did this at about 10 AM. The finish is still slightly tacky to the touch.

I was very careful about using equal parts and gave it a good stir, so I'm hoping it just hasn't had enough time to harden completely.

Normally I'm not antsy about this, and if I did screw up that batch of epoxy, no big deal I'll just give it a real light finial coat. But the problem is I'm leaving tomorrow around 11 AM or so and want to take the rod with me.

So what do you think the chances are of this stuff losing it's tackiness? Is it the humidity that slowing it down? Or should I pack my dryer & stuff and take it with me to give it another coat while I'm away?

Whata ya think?

First - I have no idea what you should do.

Second, I'd be PISSED, I've been there, know the feeling, it sux. NEver been under pressure to fish teh rod though, so I really don't know what to tell you.

I don't think it will lose it's tackiness enough to not pack up your drier. What's the worse thing that could happen, you take drier and you never use it? (just make sure to remember to bring it home with you, because that would be the worse thing)

Hi

First off let it dry for a couple of days. More than likely you will have to put on another coat. One thing with Flex coat, you really need to mix it well. Tacky flex coat has happend to us all at times. I slowly stir mine for 2 minutes in the cup before pouring it out on foil.

I just had the same problem. I measured carefully, and hit with a hair dryer after I applied it. That is usually the ticket, but this time no luck. I just got a good tip, which I hope will work. Mix everything in a big batch. I'm not going to worry about $10.00 for a $200+ rod and parts.

Odds on getting bad finish(Product) are in the realm of 10,000 to one therefore almost all bad batches are something we do- improper mixing or measuring- most manufacturers will state never mix less then 3 ccs of hardner to resin using less increases the chances of having problems- mixing with a fine blade spatula in a shot glass for a period of two minutes scraping the sides as you are mixing( folding to be more precise) should insure it is thoroughtly mixed- room temperature can effect the curing time but it takes a considerable temperature difference to really effect it.

John

Does humidity affect it? For my first batches I mixed a precise table spoon of exopy and hardener each. I measured as carefully as I could and mixed thoughly.

According to one epoxy maker, Humidity has nothing to do with epoxy problems. Next time you mix up a batch, our some in a cup of water. Supposedly it will set up just as quickly in the air as it will in the water. Dpesn't get any more humid than water. This is not my findings, I never tried it.

'Been Here - Done This! I learned my lesson on the epoxy thing recently. Humidity has nothing to do with it. You have to mix the epoxy thoroughly. Some guys are mixing for five minutes. Try this experiment: arrange three small plastic bowls/lids/or cups to pour epoxy into; measure your epoxy to exactly 3 cc's of hardener and resin and squirt them into your mixing cup at the same time; looking at a clock, start mixing; pour off a little separately into each of the plastic bowls after 30 seconds of mixing, one minute of mixing, and three minutes of mixing; check it after several hours and remove it from the bowl (you should be able to pop it out); If the epoxy is not mixed thoroughly, the bottom will be wet or tacky. Mixed thoroughly, it will be solid and dry.